• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neuter Help

kaskaskia

Alpha Buck
I adopted my rabbit in May from a rescue near me to be a companion for my neutered boy Benjamin, and I didn't ask at the time if she was neutered as I thought it would be safe as Benjamin had been done.
However, at that time I didn't know that female buns were more likely to get cancer if not neutered, and now I'm worried sick. Is there a way to tell if she has been done or not by previous owners, can a vet tell? I don't think the rescue will have had her done as I reserved her practically as soon as she came in to the rescue and took her a few weeks later, and I know the rescue didn't have her vaccs done as I had to get her vaccinated myself.
Please help, I feel like a terrible bunny mummy and I certainly don't want her to get ill... what can I do to find out if she's been done or not?

Mabey the vet could feel for a scar on her tummy that would indicate that she had been spayed. Or an x-ray could tell.

This is a terrible thing to say but I think if she was handed into a rescue then it's more than likley that she has not been spayed.

Im not suggesting you do it yourself, but surely shaving her belly will reveal a scar if shes been spayed.

Id ring the rescue anyway- theyd should have records and be able to tell you what her old owners told them.

There is usually no way you can tell if a female has been neutered, as there is usually no evidence of a scar once things are healed up. Some vets may chack using ultrasound but most do not.

I would advise contacting the rescue she came from, they may have a record from when she was admitted, my guess if the rescue does not routinely neutered is that she probably isn't.

Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I'm having the same problem

I was told that Lola (my french lop) had been neutered when I got her - not by the rescue but the woman who handed her in claimed she'd had her done. This same woman also claimed she'd been vaccinated but couldn't provide the certificates.

My vet told me that there was no way of telling that a rabbit had been spayed other than opening them back up - as Lola was a very big girl when we got her we didnt want to risk it.

She's 4 now and I keep thinking about the risks of uterine cancer. Do you think its worth having her opened up just to check and to be spayed if necessary. Or is it better to just leave it as I've been told frenchie lifespans are around 6 to 7 years anyway?

Thanks

An ultra sound can be used to look without opening the bun up - I know that's how Bobtails check rabbits to confirm whether they have been spayed and another member has it done regularly to check for cancer as an alternative to spaying. You probably need an experienced vet though to find the right bits and a rabbit willing to sit still :)

Tam

Back