• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stupid freeads person

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I just called up an ad about a free to a good home rabbit...
Asked why rabbit was being rehomed and was told lady is a breeder.

Asked what breed rabbit is 'I dunno, erm well shes got lop ears' :eek:

She then said 'Shes got a really fat chin'. I said you mean the dewlap, thats where they pull fur out to make a nest' . Lady said 'Oh really is that what its for.'

For gods sake, really sounds like she knows what shes doing doesnt it?! :evil:

OMG, she wasn't in Solihull was she, 'cos I had one like that yesterday who wanted to get rid of a 6year old doe because she was no use anymore and would live more than a year more so wasn't worth spending money on!!! :shock: :shock: and then said she didn't think there were rescues for rabbits because she didn't think they were poplar pets!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hi
no its in nottingham. Seems theres lots of dodgy people about tho! :x

This rabbit is 3 years old.

Are you taking the 6 year old?

We don't know because she is a breeder....... but I'm worried because I don't know what will happen to her if we don't take her

snowy said:
We don't know because she is a breeder....... but I'm worried because I don't know what will happen to her if we don't take her

I know exactly what you mean, ive been having the same dilemma myself over this rabbit :?

I dont want to free up space for an apparently dodgy breeder, but shes going to get rid of her some way anyway, and she might end up in a worse situation than she is now.

Will have a think about it.
It had occured to me that I could go over to collect rabbit and have a chat to her whilst i was there. Not that she'd listen I expect.

Actually that's exactley what we thought and maybe take her some leaflets, but I am really worried about the bun, I mean, 6 years old?, but as she said she is no use anymore so I suppose she will dispose of her some other way unless we take her....I really don't know what to do

What would you do?

this is a really hard one isn't it. I'd try not to take ex-buns from breeders as it somehow justifies what they're doing and frees up space. I know that means that bun has an uncertain future but sadly with so many bunnies in need you can't help them all. By taking this one, you can't help another one which might not be ex breeder. Horrid decision to have to make, if only we could help every bun and stop these awful back street breeders. :evil:

I *think*, as she is 6 years old I would take her. Really, no one else is going to want her- either another breeder or a pet home as people would worry about vets bills at her age. She deserves a loving retirement home.

Basically they're going to get rid of her come what may.

I may either post or give the lady in nottingham this info:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

Could you ask her to give you a donation? Explain the potential costs involved to you- spaying, vaccinations and that you run a small rescue for older and unwanted rabbits. Basically she must know that no one will want a 6 year old rabbit, so she may consider it. Try e-mailing her first to give her time to think about it.

I rang her and told her that if we took the bun in how much it would cost us to get her speyed and vaccs and said we would like a donation and she said oh no I didn't think it would cost anything!!, I'll not bother then, so I was rather taken aback with that so I think that I am going to ring her and ask if I can go round to see the bunnies that she has, take her some leaflets and be prepared for a long one sided chat about rescue bunnies!!

I'll see what the situation is when I get there and try and make a sensible decision but I am really worried about what she will do with it, it also makes me wonder what she has done with the buns in the past???

I'll keep in touch with you and let you know what I find out, trouble is it is an awkward position but at the end of the day I do this to help the bunnies not the people............what do you think??

snowy said:
I rang her and told her that if we took the bun in how much it would cost us to get her speyed and vaccs and said we would like a donation and she said oh no I didn't think it would cost anything!!, I'll not bother then, so I was rather taken aback with that so I think that I am going to ring her and ask if I can go round to see the bunnies that she has, take her some leaflets and be prepared for a long one sided chat about rescue bunnies!!

I'll see what the situation is when I get there and try and make a sensible decision but I am really worried about what she will do with it, it also makes me wonder what she has done with the buns in the past???

I'll keep in touch with you and let you know what I find out, trouble is it is an awkward position but at the end of the day I do this to help the bunnies not the people............what do you think??

Yeah I agree with that defiently.

I keep swinging between one opinion on this and another.
I thinks is a good idea to go round there. Sweet talk her to let you round then let rip :lol:

Perhaps start a poll to gauge the opinion on this bun and breeder surplus stock in general.

You know she said 'ill not bother then' ....what will she do instead? :x

BTW, ive decided not to take the 3 year old this weekend...its only the first dat the ads appeared, so i'll keep looking to see if it appears again and then make a decision.

Back