• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex grooming - help please

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Well Zion is looking like a right scruff now. So much so I have taken to call him scruffy/scruffles/scruffleboots :lol: :lol:

Can any rex owners tell me what they use to groom their rex bunnies? I have a comb that doesn't even get into his dense fur and I have a plastic brush but it doesn't seem to do much.

I have seen the pics of Jane's lovely fluffy rexes and unfortunately Zion looks nothing like it :roll:. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the scruff ball - needs some work ;)
moult1.jpg

moult2.jpg

moult3.jpg

Shiv

not a clue :? sorry
he is a stunner though
could you carefully stroke him whilst wearing a rubber glove? would that work? i know it helps remove dead hair on dog coats so i would assume it would be the same with bunnies :?

abi and teegra

Either stroke him with damp hands, or get one of those rubber grooming gloves - another thing that gets the fur out is a cat zoom groom - google 'zoom groom' and you will see what they are.

That is what I was going to suggest damp hands and run them over their body, should get rid of loose hairs. :D

Some of my Rexes look a right mess at the moment!!

I always start the grooming by gently pulling the coat 'against the grain' with my fingers. The Rex coat is so dense that no comb/brush will get through it.
I then use very gentle circular movements of my fingertips through the coat. Once I have removed as much loose fur as possible with my hands/fingers I use a soft bristtle bruch to smooth down their coat.

The most fur is always removed by hand and the brushing really just finishes the job off.

Janex

Audrey isnt/hasnt moulted at all- I wonder if its because shes been inside ever since she came to live with me? :?

they are not rexes, but I groomed my bosses rabbits wheni was looking after them using a cat flea comb- the fine comb seems to work really well.

Thanks guys!

I will give the damp hands trick a go. It's trying to get him to sit still for a while now. Hmmmmmmm

Thanks again

Shiv

For my rexes I use on of those rubber slicker brushes to pull away the loose hair, I then go over with a soft bristle brush to catch any remaining loose fur and smooth the coat, I then finish off by stroking them to make sure I've got every last bit! :wink:

choc only has a tiny bit of mault (sp) above her tail but i give her the little treat that says its for healthy coats every day - 1 in a morning and 2 at bed time. got them from P@H and they smell citrusy and come in a silver packet

caz

mandy said:
Audrey isnt/hasnt moulted at all- I wonder if its because shes been inside ever since she came to live with me? :?

My rex Violet isn't moulting yet either as she is inside too.

Back