• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

toxic veg and plants

raine

Warren Veteran
Just had a look at the rabbit information segment and the last posting was in 2005. Can someone clarify for me, are there different types of dandelions with one being toxic. This time of year its hard to distinguish, if there are different types, because the flowers have gone. I want to ensure I am not feeding mine the incorrect ones.

Also, another member has posted a question re dwarf beans. I have been feeding mine these and need to ensure these are not toxic.

I always thought the dandelions stalks were different i was always told the 'hollow' kind of soft stalks were ok (they also only have one flower each) whereas the other ones have tough fibrous stalks that are not hollow they also have 3 or 4 flowers per stalk are not ok

if this is wrong please let me know

:D
abi and teegra
(it was me asking about dwarf beans :lol:)

Yes, but when the flowers are gone, you don't have the stalks, either. Real dandelion leaves should be dark green, without hair and the edges are slightly zig-zag shaped. I'll try and find a photo....

Here you go: they are usually quite irregular in shape and have a lighter central line.

dandy3.jpg

This is the false dandelion. The leaves are much more regular in shape, have hairs and grow closer to the ground. Therefore they survive much better in the middle of the lawn, as the mower does not get them.

I don't know if it is toxic for bunnies, but it may taste too bitter for them.

false.jpg

Thank you for your kind posting. I still can't tell the difference without the flowers. I will look though for the hairs, but it is risky if one is toxic

The false one tends to be more in the middle of the lawn, whereas the real dandelion grow along the edges and in flower beds. You just need to get the feel for it. :D

Back