• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fractured in pelvis!

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
My lovely dwarf lop Honey whose 6 started to limp the other day. The xray carried out by the vet shows she has a fracture in her pelvis! I think it must have happened when she was out in the garden running round with my other bunnie. I've been told to rest her and give her pain relief (metacam) in the hope that it should fix itself in about 4 weeks time. I feel so sad for her. She's indoors making herself at home on the living room rug and being given tlc. Anyone else had experience of this? I was worried when the vet said it may leave some nerve damage, but she hopes because it is a small fracture it will heal. Does honey's age have anything to do with the healing process?

:cry:
xx

Awwwww poor Honey :(
It sounds like your Vet has diagnosed a hairline fracture. Rabbits, like humans, can get Osteoporosis where their bones become thin and soft. So a spontaneous fracture can occur just by a Bunny thumping or charging about.
As your Vet has said, the hairline fracture should heal itself with rest and pain relief. You might also ask your Vet if a calcium and Vit D supplement (needed for bone regrowth) might be useful whilst the fracture is healing. Do check with the Vet first though.

Janex

Good Idea, thanks Jane - I have to take Honey back next week just so they can check how she is doing, so will ask about it.

I am worried about her though - I only rescued her 4 weeks ago, she could well have thin bones, seeing as her previous owners half starved her and let her get in a mess. How cruel. She is a loving bun too, so trusting and easy going. Poor ole thing!

xx

Bonniebunny said:
Good Idea, thanks Jane - I have to take Honey back next week just so they can check how she is doing, so will ask about it.

I am worried about her though - I only rescued her 4 weeks ago, she could well have thin bones, seeing as her previous owners half starved her and let her get in a mess. How cruel. She is a loving bun too, so trusting and easy going. Poor ole thing!

xx

Well at least you have her now and she will get a better diet which will hopefully prevent more loss of bone density. Hope all goes well for Honey at the Vet Check

Janex

Hi there. So sorry to hear about your poor bunny.

I posted two days ago as my bunny Jess has a fractured rib and a neck injury. I posted using my friend's username (Nicole) called "Jess is sick....fractured rib. Pleashe help" (Sorry I don't know yet know how to link to the post!)

I too was really shocked at the diagnosis and can't work out how it happened.

I am giving my bunny Metacam once daily though I am also giving her two injections of vetergesic (I think this is a morphine based painkiller). The problem is that Jess stopped eating, presumably because of the pain she was feeling and developed GI stasis. So I'm also giving her Metaclopramide and some Zantac on the vet's advice, and am syringe feeding as her eating is very poor.

Its just a thought if you feel your bunny is still in pain or isn't eating much. I know Jess isn't right because she is sitting/lying still a lot more and sometimes sits with her face to the wall, in addition to the fact that she is hardly eating.

Hope Honey goes from strength to strength.

Fiona xx

Is there anything we can give the bunnies, esp older ones, to prevent osteoporosis and to strengthen their bones? Just thinking that this is what humans do, increase calcium intake. I wonder if the same theory works for rabbits?

Back