• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Major Tom and Some Good But Puzzling News....

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
He has been with me for a few months now and during the entire time the ONLY thing he will eat is P@H Pellets. He wont touch ANY veg /grass/dandelion leaves/hay. He has advanced dental disease, no incisors and horrendous molar malocclusion. At the beginning of this week he had severe mouth pain and Christabel noticed lots of ulcerated tissue in his mouth. He only had a GA/Dental 3 weeks ago and Christabel was very reluctant to knock him out again as last time he arrested and had to be resusitated.As Christabel could not see any obvious molar spurs she advised treating him with increased pain relief and Baytril incase his ulcerated mouth was infected.
He has been on treatment for 4 days and this morning we have this

MiscPics301.jpg

The Major is eating HAY.... :shock: :shock: :? :? :D :D

No idea how long it will last but its I sight I thought I'd never see.

Janex

Awww, he is so beautiful. That pic brought tears to my eyes for some reason. :? Please can you give him a great big cuddle from me??? :D

Rallybunny said:
Please can you give him a great big cuddle from me??? :D

Of course!! The Major LOVES his cuddles :D
When he goes to see Christabel he jumps off the examination table up into her arms and kisses her ears!! :lol:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Rallybunny said:
Please can you give him a great big cuddle from me??? :D

Of course!! The Major LOVES his cuddles :D
When he goes to see Christabel he jumps off the examination table up into her arms and kisses her ears!! :lol:

Janex

Hurray!

:shock: How strange Jane, any explanation for this???? :shock:

I mean, it's really, really good but rather odd, mind you who cares so long as he keeps eating hay, well done Major Tom!! :?

snowy said:
:shock: How strange Jane, any explanation for this???? :shock:

I mean, it's really, really good but rather odd, mind you who cares so long as he keeps eating hay, well done Major Tom!! :?

No idea why really. The batch of hay recently delivered is lovely, soft and sweet smelling. But we have had similar before and The Major hasn't touched it..... :? :?

Janex

Have you tried other hays too Jane? I bunny-sit this poor bunny who's not fed any hay at home because she "won't eat it" but whenever she's here she's munching away. Last two times she's been here, hay has been the first thing she's eaten! :roll:
But I always have lots of different types, to encourage my incisorless buns to eat. Not so much anymore as Rex and Squishy aren't too fussy, but Mary used to be a nightmare.
Bunnybasics have a nice selection of hays that he'd eat - the chopped timothy was a particular favourite, and the second-cut normal timothy went down really well. He had stages of liking normal timothy and totally ignoring it though. I also bought some herbal hay from a shop near me which he went nuts for!
They're all a bit expensive to feed all the bunnies so Nina and Joey only really get a handful as the odd treat, but they eat lots of meadow hay so that's not a problem, but if it's just for one bun then it's not too bad.

Karly said:
Have you tried other hays too Jane? I bunny-sit this poor bunny who's not fed any hay at home because she "won't eat it" but whenever she's here she's munching away. Last two times she's been here, hay has been the first thing she's eaten! :roll:
But I always have lots of different types, to encourage my incisorless buns to eat. Not so much anymore as Rex and Squishy aren't too fussy, but Mary used to be a nightmare.
Bunnybasics have a nice selection of hays that he'd eat - the chopped timothy was a particular favourite, and the second-cut normal timothy went down really well. He had stages of liking normal timothy and totally ignoring it though. I also bought some herbal hay from a shop near me which he went nuts for!
They're all a bit expensive to feed all the bunnies so Nina and Joey only really get a handful as the odd treat, but they eat lots of meadow hay so that's not a problem, but if it's just for one bun then it's not too bad.

Thanks Karly. Its really The Major's maloccluded molars that are the problem. Some grow outwards :shock: ,some inwards :shock: some fell out and some died :(
So its the mechanics of chewing hay that he cant normally manage. But whats going on in his mouth right now is a mystery :shock: :?

Janex

Back