• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat vs rabbit

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
While I was putting the rabbits and piggies to bed last night I heard a scuffle going on and looked over and saw Blackberry and a cat facing off :shock: They were both on their back legs boxing at eachother and then came off the ground entirely and started kicking too :shock: I shouted and the cat jumped the fence and ran off. Blackberry was wiping at his nose with his paws but I couldn't see anything when I picked him up. I hope nothing shows up later - with a rabbits soft skin you often can't feel anything until a scab forms :? He was his usual self today, no probs. Thank goodness it didn't get his eyes.

Drat that cat :x It belongs to next door and keeps coming into the garden and is the only cat around here that hasn't decided the rabbits are too tough to mess with. I don't think it is fed often and it doesn't like it at home as they now have a puppy (they leave that outside to whimper for hours :cry: ). It didn't come over its own fence as that way leads to Strawberry's area and he is bigger than it is, but went round over the other neighbour's 10ft high fence :roll: It comes in at night too and makes them all stamp and wake me up :roll:

I hope that encounter with Blackberry was more than it was anticipating and that it will steer clear now. But it has made me reassess my previous view that rabbits have nothing to fear from cats. Blackberry is a big rabbit. One of the smaller ones would have been even more at risk from this cat. And I home checked someone the other day whose rabbit was in a run with a cat and got its eye badly scratched and died of shock :cry:

I am going to add wire to the top of my fences now. Maybe as it won't provide steady footing for the cat it will keep it out.

I hope he's ok :shock:

My bunnies (well not sure about niamh and Splodge as their dinky) beat the cat anytime :shock: :lol:

When i lived with my parents I had 2 cats and a bunny called fluffy, the best sunbathing spot was in her run and she'd quite happily fight them for it :shock: one time I found both cats on top of the picnic bench with fluffy circling underneath :shock: :lol:

cat saliva carries alot of bacteria. even the smallest scratch should be seen by your vet as the rabbit may require antibiotics.

maxxev said:
cat saliva carries alot of bacteria. even the smallest scratch should be seen by your vet as the rabbit may require antibiotics.

Ditto.

What a horrible shock :shock:

Janex

Don't worry, I'll keep on top of any injury. He is getting a thorough inspection today to see if anything can be found that I couldn't feel just after it happened. Luckily he has an extremely thick coat and I was there so it was a very brief encounter.

Back