• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another question or 10!...

rachael1969

Warren Scout
Hiya again everyone,

Thanks for all your replies on my other thread....i wondered if you could give me some more advice!!

I've bought my girls a hooded cat bed to sleep in now - but they are still weeing in that so i have to wash it quite alot or else it smells!! They have a litter tray with carefresh and hay in it, and also a hay rack which is on the wall.

1. Do you think i have too much hay in their 'house' ?
2. Do you think with them being so young that their bed should really be hay/straw?
3. They seem to keep missing the litter tray and weeing next to it. I have put some tissue in there with their wee on so they pick up the scent but i'm not sure thats working. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for your help :D x

Hi Rachel,

Regarding the Hay, I dont think you can put too much in their hutch as mine eat hay like its going out of fashion, and its a very important part of their daily diet.

Tracey x

You cant have tooo much hay. It ALL good for them. Well, the weeing part now. It just take time, you are good the right thing with the tissue, eventually they will get the nack of it and will start to wee and poo in the right place. They are still very young, give them time. Plus they will also get better once they had "The Op".

m
xx

I put hay in my litter trays and they sleep, eat and wee in it! If they want to wee in the hooded bed, I'd put a layer of cat litter in it with loads of hay for them to eat and let them get on with it.

When Dougal had accidents I soaked up the pee pee with kitchen roll and put it in the litter tray, that way he knew where to go.You must remember to clean the area with a product that deals with odours.

Definately can't have too much hay!! Have you got one of those rectangular litter trays? Some of mine have the same problem, they try and use the tray but end up going over the side, I got them one of the triangular ones with the higher corners and that works really well for them :D

I have found in the past that rabbits chose where to wee so just put a litter tray wherever their chosen spot is! Mine always choose to wee next to the litter tray and the only solution i came up with was 2 trays next to each other.

I think you are doing everything right and offering them lots of hay is great. hope you find a solution.

the weeing next to the litter tray is a territorial thing, i was reading about it the house rabbit society website. Mine do it too :)

Nicola

Thanks guys,

I dont think there is much else i can do really. I have one of those triangular litter trays - but only the small one and only one of them can fit in it at a time, so the other one would probably go off and pee somewhere else :lol:

I bought a kitten litter tray as it covers more floor space! and i have noticed that they have weed in it a little, but the little monkeys always wee over the side. I have to chuckle bless them :D

I'll persevere with the tissue thing and hope they get there!

x

A couple of mine don't like to use mucky litter trays, but I change them everyday anyway! I disinfect around the tray if anyone misses, so they don't think they've been there before!!

For a few of mine, I use the bases of those 3ft indoor cages :lol: (the top bit has been chucked :lol:

Back