• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does this sound alright?

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
The basics
Rabbits need to be kept in pairs, they need neutering and vaccinations twice yearly, hay is the most important part of their diets, it should be available at all times

Girls or boys?
Either, depends entirely on the individual rabbit

Housing
Outside rabbits can kept in a hutch, nothing less than 5 foot, or in a shed, you need a run so they can have exercise or if you garden is completely secure and bunny proof they can have the whole run of it- only under supervision though

Feeding
Hay, hay and more hay, a good quality pelleted feed should be given rather than a mix as most rabbits selective feed. Veggies should also form the main part of the diet, with pellets making up around 5% in total

TLC
Tender Loving Care, rabbits should become part of the family and become a joy to have as a pet; they should not be locked away in a hutch at the end of the garden.

Health
Regular check ups are essential, as are vaccinations for VHD (Viral Hemorrhagic Disease) and Myxomatosis, in high risk areas Myxomatosis should be given every six months, VHD is yearly. Both sexes of rabbits should be neutered when old enough, females should be spayed at six months to eradicate Uterine Cancer, hormonal problems and phantom pregnancies. Males should be neutered as soon as their testicles drop at around 14/15 weeks of age; this will enable you to keep male and females together with out the risk of pregnancy.

Breeding?
Should not be done, at the time of writing there are currently over 33,000 rabbits in rescue.
Go to a rescue centre rather than a pet shop!

The basics
Rabbits need to be kept in pairs, they need neutering and vaccinations twice yearly, hay is the most important part of their diets, it should be available at all times

:lol: Didn't realise they need neutering twice a year!! :lol:

Only kidding, looks good to me :thumb:

It could do with a little more detail - for example, names and brands of pellets, expand on the gender (perhaps pros and cons - e.g. males can mount and females are prone to hormonal moodiness if sprayed, but that both are solved with neutering)
I'd give the other dimensions of the hutch too as there are often hutches which are adequate in length but not depth or height, and a minimum run size with a mention of how sly foxes can be about getting into them
Perhaps in the hay, explain about bales being cheaper/better quality, and in the veg mention a few that you can't feed.
In the TLC bit I'd mention the bonuses of bringing a bunny into the family - their personality, being like mini dogs, etc. but might be a good place to mention bunny company again too?
In health you could make a quick reference to the more common problems, like gut stasis, bloat, tooth problems, etc.
The breeding bit sounds a bit blunt to me - breeding can be an important part of animal keeping (as in I'd rather have the opportunity to buy from a responsible breeder than a BYB/petshop if for whatever reason I couldn't have a rescue - some people prefer to go to breeders to minimise the chance of health problems). I'd mention the importance of doing it properly - researching, having the funds, etc. and also mention how many rescues there are and that they're just as loving, that you can still get babies from rescues, etc.

Its for a care sheet so I can't really make it too long.

What the minimum run size?

I've edited the bit about neutering Sue :wink: :lol:

Gem said:
Its for a care sheet so I can't really make it too long.

What the minimum run size?

I've edited the bit about neutering Sue :wink: :lol:

3 x 6 say the RSPCA, with 6 x 2 x 2 hutch

Gem, is the care sheet to be given out or are you preparing this as a theoretical exercise for college? Remember that most people buy rabbits for children and need to know they are not suitable pets for small children. Hormones should be mentioned (rabbits not kids :lol: )

I have deleted my care shet that I had posted here as it looked very like I had hi-jacked your post! so sorry :wink:

Gem said:
The basics

Girls or boys?
Either, depends entirely on the individual rabbit

Housing
Outside rabbits can kept in a hutch, nothing less than 5 foot, or in a shed, you need a run so they can have exercise or if you garden is completely secure and bunny proof they can have the whole run of it- only under supervision though

Feeding
Hay, hay and more hay, a good quality pelleted feed should be given rather than a mix as most rabbits selective feed. Veggies should also form the main part of the diet, with pellets making up around 5% in total

TLC
Tender Loving Care, rabbits should become part of the family and become a joy to have as a pet; they should not be locked away in a hutch at the end of the garden.

Health
Regular check ups are essential, as are vaccinations for VHD (Viral Hemorrhagic Disease) and Myxomatosis, in high risk areas Myxomatosis should be given every six months, VHD is yearly. Both sexes of rabbits should be neutered when old enough, females should be spayed at six months to eradicate Uterine Cancer, hormonal problems and phantom pregnancies. Males should be neutered as soon as their testicles drop at around 14/15 weeks of age; this will enable you to keep male and females together with out the risk of pregnancy.

Breeding?
Should not be done, at the time of writing there are currently over 33,000 rabbits in rescue.
Go to a rescue centre rather than a pet shop!

Sounds good but why does it have to be so short?

What about house bunnies???

Why do buns need to be kept only in pairs???? -What about mentioning human or bunny company and interaction is essential.

What about mentioning toys, cage furniture/accesories eg play tunnels, etc to ensure the rabbit is stimulated and entertained.

Also what about grooming -especially for long haired breeds

The trouble with caresheets is there is always a bit more to add to explain things better and you easily end up with a book :lol: How about finishing up by adding contacts such as rwa for more info :)

Back