• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Travelling Distance?

Rogue

Banned
Following on from my English Lop thread, I am about to tentatively e-mail Dillon's owners. I am still desperately hoping my little Bram will be found safe and well and it was always my intention to get a boyfriend for her, although I hadn't planned to start looking quite so soon! The idea of a bunny run makes the idea a bit more possible.

However, I'm concerned about distance, and I don't want my enthusiasm to overshadow a bunny's health and well-being. Dillon lives in Hampshire (which I think is right in the very south?) and I'm in the North East, not far from Middlesbrough. I travelled a similar distance by train in my teens to collect a kitten from a breeder but I've become a bit more cautious as I've got older! :lol: I'm not very good on public transport anymore either. If you guys think the distance is too just too far, then I'll go back to my original plan of waiting a couple of months and try to find something closer to home. I don't have to have an English Lop (it was my friend that got my looking at them for her!), but Dillon is sooo lovely :love: .

What do you lot think :?:

im sure someone will be able to help a bit with a bunny run, even getting a little closer maybe. I hate using public transport on my own too, especially trains because theyre never on time, but im getting used to it.

Snoopy just travelled from Lancashire down to Surrey, and he didn't seem stressed at all. He was transported in cars and I would not advise travelling by train for a long distance. Better to organise a bunny run.

Thanks everyone :D . So my next question is... is there someone (or rather multiple someones, given the distance!) that would possibly be able to collect Dillon from Hampshire for me (assuming he is still available.. I am sending an email to his owners) and travel him up the country? I would be able to get to Middlesbrough, Stockton or Thornaby to collect him, or possibly even to Whitby, Northallerton and the surrounding area if I can convince someone to sit in the car with me (provisional driver)! :lol: If no one can come quite that far, please let me know how far you can manage and I will try to make arrangements.

Thanks! :D

Whereabout in Hampshire?

Theres always the possibility a bunny run up country could be combined with my two that are headed to Helen and a Hammy that needs to get to Lichfield

Check he is available first. I am not sure but didn't someone take him from here? As bunny runs can become rather complex, it would be best to wait and see if he is available first and then try and arrange a run. I think distance isn't a problem as, if it is, the journey can always be broken up. Let us know when you hear back from Dillon's home.

Just thought that I should say that English Lops are very large rabbits and depending on the size of the hutch they are providing you with, he may be best as a house rabbit or in a shed. Not sure of the current hutch you have now but you will need to consider the accommodation before rehoming him. Are English Lops the same size as French Lops because, if they are, they need to be kept in a huge hutch or shed.

Excuse double post, I thought I could just delete one but it won't let me.

I am looking for a house rabbit :D . Having already had my little loppy vanish from her hutch, I will never take the risk of an outside bunny again.

No response yet, but I wasn't really expecting one until at least later on this evening, maybe over the weekend. Will keep you posted.

I was also looking at a rabbit in hampshire (not Dillon). He turned out not to be suitable anyway, but I had decided it was unfair to put him through such a long journey, there are plenty of rabbits in rescues near to me.

I was also looking at a rabbit in hampshire (not Dillon). He turned out not to be suitable anyway, but I had decided it was unfair to put him through such a long journey, there are plenty of rabbits in rescues near to me.
Thanks for your post. You raise a very valid point, I had a sneaky suspicion that it was probably too far and that I was getting carried away, and I don't need to have an English Lop from the opposite end of the country when there's so many bunnies in rescues that need good homes.

However, after consideration, and a chat with my OH, I've decided against another rabbit. I'm not holding out any hope that Bramble will ever turn up, so it seems a bit silly to be looking for a boyfriend for her. My OH thinks it's just not sunk in properly because I haven't seen the hutch yet and I'm just carrying on with the plans I had before :? . Thanks everyone who has offered advice on this thread.

Rogue said:
Thanks for your post. You raise a very valid point, I had a sneaky suspicion that it was probably too far and that I was getting carried away, and I don't need to have an English Lop from the opposite end of the country when there's so many bunnies in rescues that need good homes.

However, after consideration, and a chat with my OH, I've decided against another rabbit. I'm not holding out any hope that Bramble will ever turn up, so it seems a bit silly to be looking for a boyfriend for her. My OH thinks it's just not sunk in properly because I haven't seen the hutch yet and I'm just carrying on with the plans I had before :? . Thanks everyone who has offered advice on this thread.

I hope i havent upset you, I know whats its like when you fall in love with a photo and story.

maybe when you feel the time is right a bunny run can be arranged?

Oh no, Mandy, it wasn't your fault at all :) . I already felt a bit like an other enthusiastic child, asking if a bun run would be possible when I don't even know if he's still looking for a home! However, the point you raised that there were other bunnies in shelters nearer to you that wanted loving homes got me thinking that it wouldn't be fair to make a large rabbit travel so very far when there are probably lots of more local rabbits who need a loving home just as much.

I've spent the last week swinging back and forth on what I want to do. Part of me desperately wants a bun to fill the big gap left by Bram's disappearance. Part of me hates the idea of "replacing" her, and is appalled at the rest of me :roll: . I'm certainly not giving up on her yet, but as time goes by I think the chances of her finding her way back to me are getting slimmer. I have said that should she appear, she will definately be coming to live at home. However, the reasons why she wasn't a house rabbit to begin with are mostly still valid. At the time, I didn't have a garden, only a concrete yard which was mostly aviary anyway. Now my OH has fantastically turned it into a beautiful garden and in a few weeks there should even be grass! :)
However, I do still have my husband's bird of prey at home. While she has no sense of smell (and most of the time is a big soppy thing and is a pet, not a hunting bird) so she wouldn't really know the bunny was there, I think most folks would have a bit of a "tut" about it. There are ways around it (i.e. putting the bunny in my bedroom, or living room well away from big birdie), but I was more concerned that the owners of a prospective bunny or shelter would freak out at the thought and simply turn me down flat.

I think I need to be sensible about it and not get carried away (it's sooo easy!). I think my OH is right that it still doesn't feel real that Bramble is gone, and my brain is still set in that "find her a companion" gear, even though I'd decided to wait until after she was speyed.

It must be so heartbreaking. i bet you just want to KNOW what has happened dont you? :( :(

I think its a good idea to perhaps wait for a bit, until you feel the time is right, but i dont see why a rescue would turn you down. As long as you can ensure your bird is away from any buns you have it should be fine- other people have dogs/ferrets etc in the same household as rabbits.

My two rabbits were killed by a fox a few months ago now and i really was utterly devastated and swore that i would not have any more, but then I picked up Audrey from freeads with the intention of rehoming her but I adore her so she is staying with me now. She lives as a house rabbit. I still miss my two so much and really hate seeing thwir playhouse in the garden.

i hope Bramble comes back to you. I think its important to be realistic, but that doesnt mean you should give up hope- i think its brilliant all the effort you have gone to already to find her.

I'm desperate for any kind of news, I suppose even bad news would be better than this nasty state of limbo. As it is, all I can do now is wait and pray that someone phones me to say "I think I've got your pet rabbit!" I even keep dreaming about rabbits! When my alarm clock went off yesterday morning, I half woke up and thought I had Bramble and another rabbit (a sooty fawn colour) up on the end of the bed, satisifed myself that they were asleep and rolled over myself! It was very strange and for that short period of "not quite awake" I was convinced it was not only real but normal! I was in a bit of a state when I woke up properly and realised it was only a dream. :cry:

The decision, in the end, was taken out of my hands. Dillon's owner got back to me and said she felt he was not the bunny for me. Which is fair enough. So definately not meant to be.

Back