• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies outside at night?

Hi all,

Jessica and Jasper have the run of the house and garden all day. Albeit that is their quiet times. When i go to bed they get locked in the kitchen where they have free range i.e. no cage. This was partly due to Jessica being speyed and wanted to look after her and then when we got Jasper, to help them bond, and also cos I wanted to secure the outside run more for fear of foxes?

Anyway, we're having a party on Saturday, so tonight I've put them in their outside hutch/run combo, so that they can get used to being locked in it all night for Saturday. Also I wanted to get them used to it as they poo and wee everywhere in the kitchen and they've wee'd all up the wall and the lino's not looking too nice with the constant washing - plus was feeling like groundhog day every morning cleaning it all up!

My question is - is this going to be alright, will they be warm enough, what with molting season?

I also feel terribly guilty cos they are most active at night, and feel like they are coped up, when all they wanna do is play.

Also what are the likely hood of foxes? We live in a newly built area and we are a mid terrace and our garden is fenced in with the neighbours garden from all sides.

Am I a worrier?

I'm sure they will be fine :) And yes, you are definitely a worrier (much like me) but I dont have to worry about foxes. They wont mind being confined to a smaller area (hutch) for one night, it can be a relaxation period and so many animals have it worse, they will still be in luxury. If you're concerned about them getting cold give them PLENTY of hay and cover them with a tarpaulin or other form of cover and they will be fine (as long as its not SUPER cold). Also if its not too much trouble you could go and check on them before you go to sleep (or whenever) just to provide peace of mind. :wink:

I personally could never leave my bunnies in a run at night because foxes can get into any garden anywhere! They will be fine in a bolted up hutch full of hay during the night!

They should be fine, as the weather is quite mild at the moment, but i would not think of putting House Buns outside during the colder nights, they would not have grown their Winter Coats.

I agree with Carob. even tho our run is secured to the shed, the roof attached with chains/padlocks and based on a solid concrete floor, we still lock them in the shed at night. I would lock them down in the hutch overnight.

I would never leave mine in with access to their run at night.... we havee so many foxes it's ridiculous...
but they will be fine in their hutch - it will be nice for them to have some chilling time by themselves - and you can enjoy the party.!

Mine do have access to the run all night. I don't live in an especially risky foxy area though.

It use to be a nightmare trying to get my rabbits into the hutch each evening. We all have to make our own decisions according to the risks I guess.

Back