• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this wrong - regarding veg for bunnies

Should I get the veg from Aldi

• Yes, it's all the same

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Aldi's veg is substandard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Ok Carys has just come back from Aldi and she said it's so cheap there, I was just about to go up the farm to stock up on veg for the bunnies and pigs, but Carys said Aldi veg is fine and it's just by our work. Now is it ok to give them veg from teh Aldi, rather than the organic stuff from the farm?

If you normally give organic veg, then normal stuff is indeed substandard (that's what I have voted). I don't know whether Aldi do organic veg too.

Unfortunately, living in a city, there is no farm shop around here and I have to purchase from large supermarkets as I don't have a choice.

Vera

It'll be fine Tree, the only difference between Aldi or any supermarket veg and the farm veg is that bought supermarket stuff has been treated with radiatio to kill any bugs.

LurcherGirl said:
If you normally give organic veg, then normal stuff is indeed substandard (that's what I have voted). I don't know whether Aldi do organic veg too.

Unfortunately, living in a city, there is no farm shop around here and I have to purchase from large supermarkets as I don't have a choice.

Vera

You see the farm is 5 minutes from my house it's actually closer than the supermarkets which is why I normally go there.

Phill said:
It'll be fine Tree, the only difference between Aldi or any supermarket veg and the farm veg is that bought supermarket stuff has been treated with radiatio to kill any bugs.

really OMG

BirdieBun said:
Yeh I agree I never buy organic as I cant justify the price difference (i mean in supermarkets)

it's quite cheap at the farm, cheaper than shop organic and you can pick your own.

I vote get it from Aldi. The buns won't mind.

I can't afford to buy organic veg for us so I can't for the rabbits! I try to buy locally grown stuff from the market when I can.

I read that the one veg full of chemicals is carrots, so I do buy organic carrots where possible for both us and the furries - Morrisons do cheap bags.

BirdieBun said:
Yeh I agree I never buy organic as I cant justify the price difference (i mean in supermarkets)

Never mind justify it I simply cant afford it. :(

My (and Deej's) fruit and veg comes from the local market, as it is the cheapest and freshest, and sometimes the local supermarket if something is on special offer.

In fact I'm just off out in a minute to get 2 pounds of golden delicious apples from the market which will only cost me about 70p! :D

kitschkitty said:
Never mind justify it I simply cant afford it.

Same here :(

It already costs me around £50 a week in veg for the 15 plus the 2 guineas :roll:

SOAD said:
Phill said:

really OMG

Yeh if it weren't iradiated it wouldn't last very long a couple of days at the most, even potatos are iradiated.

Cricky, it's no wonder people are ill a lot, must be some terrible stuff we're eating.

ALDI and LIDL both have rather good stuff, I think. They are German shops originally (at least I think so..) and they were considered shops for the low class people for a long time. But nowadays everyone goes there, because they are cheaper than many supermarkets, and they often have specials on non-food items.
You should see the queue outside my local ALDI in Germany every Monday or Thursday morning, when the new specials start. When the shop opens, everyone runs in. I don't mean to sound prejudiced, but it is mostly the Turkish women that run in, push you to the side, dig in the shelves, make a huge mess and even steal things out of your shopping trolley if they can't find it anywhere. :lol: It can be a real war in there.

I agree that carrots are often quite nasty, they taste of too much fertilizer. I try to buy organic carrots, they are not that much more expensive. I also like to get organic bananas for the family. But I could not afford to buy organic only.

SOAD said:
BirdieBun said:

it's quite cheap at the farm, cheaper than shop organic and you can pick your own.

You pick your own (bum) here all the time you dont need to go to the farm to do it :thumb:

I used to live near a Lidls and got my veggies from them as they were cheaper. They used to do specials as well like half price veg which was really useful.

for the rescue buns, I go to Blackbushe Sunday market.. it's best to go at about 1/2 1 as they close at 2 and they virtually give the stuff away. :D Last time I got 2 x 12.5 kgs of carrots for £6 (earlier in the day they are £6 each bag)

SOAD said:
LurcherGirl said:

Vera

You see the farm is 5 minutes from my house it's actually closer than the supermarkets which is why I normally go there.

Personally, if I had the choice between a farm shop and a supermarket, it would be the farm shop every time! Even if it is more expensive! I simply much prefer to support local producers than having to feed stuff that has been transported half across the world and has lost half the nutrition by the time it reaches the supermarket shelves!

So if I were you and money is not the issue, I would prefer the farm.

Vera

LurcherGirl said:
SOAD said:
LurcherGirl said:

Vera

Personally, if I had the choice between a farm shop and a supermarket, it would be the farm shop every time! Even if it is more expensive! I simply much prefer to support local producers than having to feed stuff that has been transported half across the world and has lost half the nutrition by the time it reaches the supermarket shelves!

So if I were you and money is not the issue, I would prefer the farm.

Vera

I didn't buy enough on Sunday, or rather Bryn and I ate soem of the bun stuff :oops: , it closes before I get in from work. I normally get it on a Sunday.

Back