• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fattening up rabbits

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Since I've bonded Pippa and MJ, Pippa's exercise has shot up and she seems to be losing weight. MJ is a good cuddly size and never shy about coming forwards for his food. Pippa's never been a huge eater but as far as I can see she's eating as much as she wants to. At first she was letting him go first for greens etc but now they seem to be eating side by side and I've seen her eating pellets and hay as normal.

My question is, how can I fatten her up without fattening MJ up even more? I've read porridge oats are good, but I don't really want MJ to get them instead of her. Luckily they're in the shed so are more protected from the cold but I am worried that she hasn't got enough fat on her to insulate her through the winter.

:lol: :lol: when you know let me know as I have the same problem with Sharon and Ozzy.

I'm sure you have but have you took the bun to the vets to make sure that theer isn't anything more sinister going on. :D

Is Pippa spayed and how old is she?
Are you recording her weight on a weekly basis to check if it has stabilised or if she is still loosing?
Was she once over-weight and is now a more nomal weight?

Janex

She was only spayed and checked over 6 weeks ago or so. However I'm taking MJ for his VHD jab next Tuesday and obviously she'll come too so I thought I'd get vet to check her then.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with her except she's gone from being kept in a hutch all her life to having a 6 x 4 shed and PWS run, and running away from MJ's advances :lol: She didn't start losing weight until she's increased her exercise regime and is perfectly well in herself.

how about bringing her in for half an hour to have small bowl of oats on her own?
(Or do it the other way round, i think i remember you saying MJ is more cuddly- so could leave Pippa outside to munch her oats.)

When I had my poorly rabbit Bob he would be brought in for his medicine then given oats, which he ate all of before going back outside.

Or in the hutch, you could distract MJ with something nice but not fattening like carrot whilst she has her oats.

Jack's-Jane said:
Is Pippa spayed and how old is she?
Are you recording her weight on a weekly basis to check if it has stabilised or if she is still loosing?
Was she once over-weight and is now a more nomal weight?

Janex

Hi Jane

Yes she's spayed and she's about 2 years old. I haven't weighed her as I do struggle to pick her up, the vet did weigh her at her spay and I'll get her to weigh her again next Tuesday. She wasn't overweight before, in fact I was surprised by the 'cuddliness' of kayj and runnybabbits bunnies compared with her, she is quite skinny.

She was kept in a hutch with no exercise at all and when I had her before MJ she wouldn't come out of her cage/run. Since bonding she's so happy and interested in life and I'm pretty sure it's a lifestyle change rather than anything else. MJ is bigger than her and obviously I don't want to give her food to fatten her up and him eat it all, but if I feed them together he does tend to get in first!

Sounds like she may just be at what is a healthy weight for her now she has lots of room to exercise :D
As long as her weight is now stable and she eats and poops normally I am sure she will be fine. Maybe you could sneak her a spoonful of whole oats when MJ isn't looking :wink:

Janex

mandy said:
how about bringing her in for half an hour to have small bowl of oats on her own?
(Or do it the other way round, i think i remember you saying MJ is more cuddly- so could leave Pippa outside to munch her oats.)

When I had my poorly rabbit Bob he would be brought in for his medicine then given oats, which he ate all of before going back outside.

Or in the hutch, you could distract MJ with something nice but not fattening like carrot whilst she has her oats.

That's a good idea, to bring him in. It wouldn't make them not like each other though after just half an hour or so would it? He loves his greens so I could divert his attention with that.

If I ever find my camera lead I'll try to get some piccies on here, they look lovely together, really snuggly :D

Jack's-Jane said:
Sounds like she may just be at what is a healthy weight for her now she has lots of room to exercise :D
As long as her weight is now stable and she eats and poops normally I am sure she will be fine. Maybe you could sneak her a spoonful of whole oats when MJ isn't looking :wink:

Janex

Thanks for the advice, she probably is just a skinnier bun naturally. Maybe I need a bit of what she's having (exercise that is rather than the other :lol: ). I'll try her with some oats, my OH loves porridge (yuk yuk yuk) so we always have some in.

Sunfower seeds do the trick!!! Give them out as treats or give the smaller bunny a handful, they also make their coats nice and shiny :)

Bunny has had exact same problem. Since she has had freedom she is slighly thinner but eating and pooping well. Do you feed the whole oats dry???

Back