• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnyproofing floor of rabbit run- ideas please : )

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

A friend of mine is trying to bunnyproof the bottom of their run. Problem is they live in rented accomodation so cannot put concrete etc down on the lawn.

I know some people use wire/mesh on the floors of runs but I've heard that rabbits can get their legs stuck and sometimes break their legs in wire mesh. Also, I've heard it can cause sores on their feet.

The rabbit in question is prone to digging as a lot of buns are. What else can be used to bunnyproof the floor of a run that is safe?

Hoping you can help.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Soad,

Thanks for your reply xxx

Keep those ideas coming. Any advice gratefully received.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

What about wire but then a nice layer of bark chippings :lol: You would have to find natural non treated stuff tho, which I'm not sure is so easy, I've not looked yet :?

They could try putting wire mesh under the soil, say an inch under, then it won't cause any problems with sore feet - but will stop the buns going any further if they do start to tunnel!

Mine are wire meshed, if you cut the grass really short then lay the mesh on a wet day, you can squish it into the soil and then the grass grows over it. You would barely know that mine are meshed now as it's all grown over.

I think HS uses bark chippings, you just have to make sure that the chippings you're using are not from toxic trees or have been treated with various nasty chemicals, as some buns do like to eat them!

AlisonA said:
Mine are wire meshed, if you cut the grass really short then lay the mesh on a wet day, you can squish it into the soil and then the grass grows over it. You would barely know that mine are meshed now as it's all grown over.

Ooooo that sounds like a good way of doing it without having to dig up the lawn!! It's really wet here at the moment so I could probably do that and then it will have less damage to the grass when I leave.

Thanks Alison :thumb:

Back