• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Biting this morning - advise please

Flick

Alpha Buck
:(

Just wondered if anyone could advise... I came to greet my bunnies Polly & Sybil this morning, they came over and I went to give them a bit of a noes rub each - which they normally let me do a little and I thought they were getting more used to me. Sybil was ok, but when it came to Polly she bit me on the finger :(

Then she started chasing Sybil and looked like she was going to bite her :( Sybil seemed quite nervous of Polly for a bit after this.

I put their pellets in and they have now eaten and are resting in their cage. I am off to work now for the day & hope they are ok.

Just had them a week and a half and they were neutered shortly before this. I also noticed Polly mounting Sybil a few times the last couple of days. Also yesterday one of Polly's eyes looks slightly runny since last night but going to vet Sat for vacs so will get it checked out then.

Only seen one bit of agression from Polly before when we had only had them a couple of days she was hiding in the litter tray, I went a bit close and she growled and scratched but I thought this was as she felt I had invaded her safe space. The biting happened as they came to greet me at the cage door when I opened it up this morning to give them access to their run.

New to bunnies and their behaviour so can anyone offer any explanations or advise?

They are girls and they have a hormonal turmoil right now, if you can say that in English. It will probably take a few more weeks until the hormones have reached their new levels.

If you PM Jill, I am sure she will be able to advise on when they were spayed.

It usually takes 6-8 weeks for the hormones to settle down.

As long as the girls are not hurting each other, they should be fine.

Teddy and Bertie (also honeybunny's :D ) started to fight a little bit before they were neutered and every now and then, Ted still trys to mount Bert :oops: but there is no fighting.

I am sure your two will be fine though, they will have had a stressful couple of weeks and its maybe just taking Polly a little longer to settle than Sybil.

Persevere though, I am sure everything will be better soon :D

Flick sorry to hear Polly has been a naughty girl...as others have already said she has been through a lot of changes recently. Her hormones will take a while to even out and the mounting may happen from time to time and as long as it doesn't turn into a fight don't worry..it's just her proving she is the dominant one of the pair.
Give both of them time and keep stroking them, if you are worried about getting bitten wear a thin glove but rub it with your hands first so it smells of you....she has to learn your scent is not a threat.
Perhaps offer her a nice piece of spring green leaf while you're stroking her so she associates noserubs with good things..let me know how things go.....but it is early days yet, remember they came from bad circumstances with little human contact. Don't worry ,you are doing very well with them :D

Thanks

Thanks for the reassurance!

I did try stroking Polly again afterwards before I left but I wrapped my dressing gown over my hand and used the brush! She was a bit skitish but my fingers were safe!

I thought she seemed in a bit of a funny mood last night so I didn't try picking them up getting them into the carrier - perhaps I'll take some gloves for the vet visit on Sat just in case!

I thought I read somewhere about putting some thing with your smell on into their cage for them to get used to it - do you think this would help?

Back