• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Have You Used Xenex Ultra Treatment on Your Rabbits?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
If so and they have had a bad reaction to it (local skin reactions or ANYTHING else you have noticed) please PM me. I am collecting some data to submit to the manufacturer as I am hearing far to many people say their Buns have reacted badly to the product.
I will need the name and Surgery Address of prescribing Vet too

Thank-you :D

Janex.

ARC used it when one of their foster homes had a problem with myxie about 3 years ago. Everyone of the rabbits and piggies we had were repeatedly done for about a 3 month period until we were sure we had no further case .... I dont remember anyone saying that we had any reaction problems associated with its use.

What kind of reactions did the other buns have to it Jane?

Harv and Primrose really freaked out and flitted around the room like maniacs. They tried desperately to try and lick it off them. Then they started crawling around the room low to the ground...it really scared me.

Hugs,

Nic and Harv xxx

Have you still got the packaging? Maybe there's a dodgy batch if they haven't changed the formula :?

Hi Alison,

Yes. I've still got the packaging. It does say on the back of the packet that it can cause neurological disturbances in rabbits and if any chnge of behaviour is noted to take bun to vet immediately to treat convulsions and fits. I have used Xenex before on a couple of other buns with no ill effect but this time it did scare me.

Hugs,

Nic n Harv xxx

It's a spot-on treatment for fleas, lice, mites etc, I forget which insecticide is in it, but it's deadly poisonous to cats!

SOAD said:
OMG scarey stuff if it's deadly to cats, I get loads in my garden too.

Calm down Tree, Cats are unlikely to lick it off the rabbits, its only a problem if you have a Cat that grooms your buns or if you put Xenex on a Cat

What is the active ingredient? I'd like to know if we have that in the US under a different brand name. I've never heard of it. Our vet-prescribed spot treatments are Frontline (deadly for rabbits), Advantage (rabbit safe), and Revolution (rabbit safe, but have heard of one bad reaction, vet might have dosed it wrong).

Hi

We use it on all our rabbits at work while they are with us - nobody has had a reaction yet. That's about 12 or 14 rabbits so far. But will keep my eye out to see if any problems.

Gem we have the Spot On stuff, not in that packaging that says for all small animals.

Nicola

Gem, thanks for the links. I'm bothered that it doesn't say on the website what the active ingredients are. Don't you have laws for that?

I don't trust that "natural" stuff. Some of it has been linked to severe reactions in cats and dogs in the States. I think pennyroyal oil is an ingredient in some and it's a known toxin.

So does anybody know what's actually in this?

Back