• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudges skin problem

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I've had Fudge with a skin problem on and off since January. I have been back and forward to the vets with him but none of the treatments seem to have worked and it gets better by itself but then flares up again.

He has a sore looking scabby patch between his shoulder blades that he won't leave alone. I thought it started originally from the stress of loosing his brother, then he got bitten twice in the same place which healed both times. Now it's flared up again for no apparent reason.

I have tried Hexocil shampoo, fuciderm gel, dermosol, and Zn7 gel none of which has really made a difference they just seem to make him lick it more. I was wondering whether anyone had any other suggestions as the vet seems to be at a bit of a loss now? :?

My vet told me that buns that live alone often get skin probs/mites in that area because they cant groom it themselves...does he live alone?

Is it mites do you think? Audrey had an injection of ivomec and fuciderm when she had a bald patch there and it has cleared up now.

I think the vet was fairly sure it wasn't mites. Yes he does live alone but he seems to do too much grooming of that area, I keep thinking thats the problem :?

Perhaps hes got into a kind of stress habit and cant stop doing it?

Audrey has sore feet, which I have to put cream on and the vet did suggest that as a possible cause- she makes it worse by licking so often.

Back