• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do rabbits get "piles"?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
A friend of mine has just emailed me saying

"He was in his litter tray and I think he was straining! He has a little haemerroid poor love!"

Do rabbits get piles, or is this something a bit more sinister? She says this has happened before and she popped it back in. From what I can gather its a little red swelling poking out of his bottom. I've suggested she takes him to the vets anyway, but wonder if she needs to have more urgency?

Has anyone any experience of this?

Thanks everyone

I had one rabbit that had a pile. It was because he was straining to do a poo.

He went for a dental, when he came back he just wasn't the same. One day he would eat and poo and the next day he never ate or pood. Next day eating and pooing and the next nothing. He got so thin and weak, went to the vet and he found that Blue Boy had a mass in his ceacum.

Ah - so is it possible that he may have an underlying problem? I'll let her know that she really should make that trip to the vets to get him checked out.

Thanks alot nicole.

PS I thought I was seeing double with your avatar and signature pictures! White lop with grey ears and a black otter!

Poor rabbit. I think she should talk to the vet. I hope all goes well for her and her baby,xx

Aww thats Miss Marple with her cabbage hat. She passed away in Feb. Bless I still miss her. She had a huge character and so much fun.

Sorry to hear about Miss Marple. My Elmo left us just a few weeks ago - she was a fun bunny too.

Thanks for your advice and well wishes.

Back