• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stopped eating hay following a dental

Beaney

Mama Doe
My bun had a dental on Friday (first time ever) and since then will not eat hay - or very little hay.

I wasn't worried to begin with because the vet said he may be a bit off colour as a result of the GA because of his age and as long as he ate something all was OK. He scoffed his veg so I was happy.

Well - coming up to a week later and is still not touching his hay. I got a selection pack from the Hay Experts and am trying different sorts to try and tempt him but his new game is throwing the hay rack at me! I have reduced his pellets down to try and encourage the hay eating but am worried that he is actually hungry.

Anyone else found that eating habits change after a dental? Any advice on how to get him back to eating hay - obviously now he has had a tooth problem I really want him eating loads of hay!

He's still on medication for pain and on antibiotics because he also had a bit of an infection.

He is eating everything else normally - veggies, pellets and back to his usual self. He certainly doesn't appear to be in pain.

Thanks guys - just watching him out the window now and he appears to be munching on some of the timothy with rye which came from hay experts on Monday - so fingers crossed. At least he isn't throwing it at the moment.

I think that after 10 years with no illness what so ever, he is just trying to turn my hair grey now. Keeps me on my toes. :lol:

He's a white lop...

Here's a couple of pictures (from my phone so not the best):

'Playing dead'
IMG031.jpg

Breakfast time
IMG035.jpg

What's the bunny's name?

And to go slightly off topic: Is white lop a healthier breed than other breed of rabbits? Anyone knows?

Because 10 yr. w/o any health issue is a superb record.

Back