• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Xenex Ultra spot on-Bad reaction

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Last night I treated Harvey and Primrose with some Xenex Ultra spot on as I had noticed Harvey having a bit of a scratch the night before.

An hour later I had a look at Primrose and Harveys skin where I had put the drops on and it was bright red and very hot. Both bunnies were very uncomfortable and spent the next half hour flitting around the room in a panic. They were urgently trying to grrom themselves, looking very agitated and uncomfortable. It was obviously causing them a lot of stress. Their behaviour changed and they started crawling along the floor in a strange manner.

I rushed Harvey upstairs and tried to wash the area I had put the drops on. All I had to hand was some squeezy soap so i dabbed a bit on his fur and rubbed it into a lather. I then tried to rinse the soap off by pouring a small cup of warmish water over his coat to get the sudds out. My poor little man looked like a drowned rat. I wrapped him up in a warm towel and tried to dry his coat off. Obviously this whole procedure stressed my little boy out.

I will not be using this treatment on my buns again. The whole thing scared me and really upset the buns. Has anybody else experienced this with Xenex?

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

It really freaked me out and obviously really upset the buns. They were flitting around the room and looked scared. They didn't understand what was going on.

After reading the back of the pack it said can cause disturbances of the nervous system and to contact a vet immediately in order to prescribe drugs to control fits and convulsions.

What do you use as an alternative for flea/mite treatment?

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

That's awful. How did it kill your rat? I mean did it suffer convulsions etc.

My buns really freaked out about 30 mins after application and started flitting around the room and frantically trying to groom themselves. They then started to crawl around the floor in a really weird way.

I won't be using it again. Thing is I wasn't precribed it by a vet I bought it over the counter after reading that it can be used to protect against flystrike, fleas, mites etc. I had also read on here about other people using it with no probs. I didn't realise some peoples bun/pets had had bad reactions to it.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

jrn1310 said:
kitschkitty said:
Xenex spray killed my rat :cry:

The problem with sprays is that the dose given is very dependent on how much you use. Something I am very wary of.

The spray says you can even use it in thier cage on thier bedding (which I didn't do) so there is no fixed dose.

My rat looked a bit quiet after we used it, but not ill, the next morning we found her dead. We wanted an autopsy but because this was the bank holiday (and we never thought to keep her body in the freezer), it was to late for the vets to be able to do any checks.

:cry:

Hi there,

My bunny has a bad reaction to xenex ultra last week :cry: , similar to yours. I usually use xeno450 or advantage as flea/mite control but I noticed that xenex ultra protects against everything and as it is made by the same company that produces xeno450 I thought that it would be a safe bet. Immediately after applying the spot-on he began to scratch and behaving a little frantic with a high pulse rate. It has been a week now and since then he is back to normal as far as his behaviour goes, he is eating well and seems happy but his neck looks like boiling water has been poured over it. I would never recommend this product to anybody and believe that it should be taken off the market.:

Lou

Last edited:
Both my buns had a reaction to the Xenex Ultra. One was worse than the other and in the end I washed it off both of them as it was obvious they were in distress because of it.:( I wont use it again

Nicola, one of mine had a similar reaction to Xenex Ultra, so I don't use it any more.

Like Jane has said, Ivermectin will kill mites, but unfortunately it doesn't kill fleas.

Amy

For those of you whose bunnies had reactions, would it please be possible to tell me how long it took for the skin to return to normal? It is red at the moment after a week and I wondered if this is normal? xenex ultra is a terrible product!

Do Not Use It

I used batch number 7E20 14665 and weighed my bunny beforehand to correctly administer a safe dose. My Ziggy has lost all of the fur on his neck and is being treated with anti fungal/antibiotic/anti inflammatory drops twice daily to get over his bad reaction to xenex ultra. You may think that this is a safe product but please be warned, my vet wouldn't advise prescribing it. And he has recommended that I contact genitrix about it. Ziggy is still very sore. He has lesions on his neck that are now beginning to heal due to veterinary attention. Find another product to use. Xenex Ultra has caused both me and my bunny many sleepless nights.

Back