• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A few things worrying me......

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
Hi
I have two dwarf lops, bonnie aged 5 and honey aged 6. Last night Honey seemed to be having trouble putting pressure on her right foot. She held it up whilst hopping. I've checked for any cuts, sores, nail problems and nothing obvious there, she had been hopping about earlier? Still the same this morning, but eating and drinking fine. I only rescued her 3 weeks ago :cry:

I've also noticed Bonnie has been drinking alot over the past two days. She drinks from a bowl and I've noticed the level has gone down a lot. She has also not been finishing her vegetables which she usually loves, poos are ok and she's eating her SS pellets no problem?

I am constantly thinking about my buns and imagining all sorts of problems - will be booking vets appts for later today after work, but I can't get any enthusiasm for anything else whilst this is on my mind. Any advice/ideas?

:cry:
xx

Awww poor Bonnie, hope it's nothing serious :cry:

The only thing that does spring to mind is that e.cuniculi can have the effect of making a bun drink more, and can also cause hind leg weakness - is she holding the foot off the floor as if in pain, or is she just not quite using it properly? If your vet can't find something obviously wrong with her leg, it could be worth running an e.c. blood test.

Hope your vet can sort your little darling out ok! xx

Honey's been to the vets tonight. The vet can't find any obvious sign of injury on the leg. So she has to go back tomorrow for an xray. This means sedation. I am absolutely dreading it. I have had bad experiences with this before (lost 2 buns and gp after anaesthetic).

As for Bonnie, i know all bunnies vary, but what is average daily water consumption. I don't know if bonnie thinks she is pregnant, she has gone off certain foods and seems to like the water bowl at the moment - although no fur pulling as yet. Mentioned this to the vet as well. She gave me a number of things it could be, said monitor for another day or two then bring her in.

This is a nightmare - I can't help thinking the worst.

xx :cry:

Bunny drinking varies soooo much, partly depending on the availability of veg/grass etc as they can get a lot of water content from these other sources. I have a feeling that around 100-200ml per day is normal for an average rabbit. One of the foster buns I had, drunk around 400ml a day - this together with his weak back legs led my vet to suspect e.cuniculi, so if nothing shows up on the x-ray it might be worth getting a blood test done while she's still sedated?

Good luck, hope Honey is ok. xxx

It could just be that as Bonnie has stopped eating certain veg she has to get water from somewhere else, which is why her drinking has increased. Before she was probably getting all the water she needed from the veg.

We have it from time to time where some of our bunnies stop eating certain food for no reason. Infact the other week we had about 6 that just decided they didn't like carrots anymore. I don't know if there was something up with the batch we bought but they are all back on them no and loving them :roll: :wink:

It could be her teeth are starting to hurt when eating certain foods - we know when some of our bunnies are ready for their teeth checking as they stop eating hay, carrots, the stalky bit in the centre of the cabbage, etc, but are fine with cabbage leafs, broccoli, lettuce, etc.

As for Honey I don't know what to suggest... does she flinch / jump if you pick her up and press / touch / hold parts of her leg to try and track downthe problem area? Is she a house rabbit?

Maybe Honey has just sprained her leg? Could she maybe have just landed awkwardly or been tripped over by Bonnie? Hope all goes ok with the sedation and xray tomorrow, fingers crossed you get good results and Honey recovers quickly.x

A few things worrying me......u/d fracture

Thanks for replies.

Well, Honey had her xray done - she has a fracture in her pelvis. She has pain relief for the next two weeks, and is supposed to be rested. There is nothing else to be done. The vet said it is quite minor and should heal itself within 4-6 weeks. However, she said sometimes there can be nerve damage, but she's hoping it will repair ok. I think this must have happened when the two bunnies were running free in the garden. I feel so sad for her.

As for Bonnie, well she still seems to be drinking a lot. I'm going to take her on monday for a health/teeth check. Wouldn't be without my lovely buns, but they do cause me lots of worry lately!!!

Back