• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Human Interaction

Do groups of rabbits need human interaction?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Depends on rabbits

• Total voters

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
I've been thinking about a rabbits need for human interaction and if they mind if they don't get it.

Obviously a single bun would need lots of attention otherwise they'd get lonely, but, what about two or more buns living together? I'm not talking about general care, feeding, cleaning etc but time spent with them.

I spend anything from 10mins in the morning and 20mins in the evening to hours sitting out with them just watching them. BUT I will admit I don't very often 'intrude' into their family life. I don't pick them up and cuddle them, just stroke them and give nose rubs.

So my question is do you think that groups of rabbits NEED human contact and interaction r are they just as happy without it?

Difficult to know really. Mine seem very happy with just each other, but get really excited when I come to see them.... only to see what I've brought them though! :lol:

My outside pairs are happy for me to be around and obviously love me at meal times! but, they don't need or really want my company like Squidgy does. Squidgy is a lone housebun and likes to be where we are and comes for nose rubs and licks regularly.

No idea. I would guess that they don't need it but I think human interaction is enjoyed by a lot of rabbits and can make things like health checks, claw clipping, administering meds etc easier if a rabbit is used to being picked up. I guess a lot of it depends on the rabbit. I know of people whose rabbits don't like being handled.

All my animals have had a lot of human interaction - but that is because I want it and they are all nice enough to tolerate me :lol:

I think they def need less interaction when bonded, in the 7 weeks tht I kept H & H apart after neuter they both 'loved' me much more, than they do now. Dont get me wrong, I knw thy still love me, but dont seem so dependant. SUmdays Ill spend ages & ages with them, but like 2day when I was out the house most of day, spent 10 mins with them this morning while fed them, then bout 30mins 2night when cleaning out, fed, quick 5 min cuddle 2 each, sum nose rubs, and they'r happy with that - espesh 2nite as I've jst spent £25 on new toys & things 4 thm 2day ! :lol:

If you mean social interaction then nope - certainly we can't offer them anything a bunny can't and they'd be perfectly content without it. But, because as pets we owe them some responsibility regarding their welfare then you need to interact for things like health checks/vet visits etc. and having social interaction will make them happier about those things so from that point of view it's necessary.

Alfie would really rather I just left him alone. He'll come up if he smells food but if he finds my hand attached to it he's not impressed. Gyspy find people curious but no doubt she'd be just as happy with non human entertainment and she likes having Alfie and around and he likes her :)

I do spend time with them so they are used to me being around and they will tolerate being picked up but, all but Sooty, really hate it. They are more than happy for me to stroke them etc though :) They do get a thorough check over but I just try not to pick them up just because I want a cuddle. When required I find that they can be bribed with parsley :wink:

Back