• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit insurance

cazza

Mama Doe
Just wondering how likely people are to insure there buns or if people search for providers.?

The reason i ask is i work for a large financial organisation who do pet insurance (cat and dog) and it has been raised a few times why we dont do rabbits. Today i had a meeting and raised this query and if it was something the company could look into. we are now doing some online research to see how often people search for rabbit insurance etc as i know of only one company offering it and hopefully if it looks hopeful we may be introducing it to our range of products

caz

My eldest is insured, the others I'm sorting out next month.

I found it hard cos no pet insurers seem interested in insuring rabbits, not even the PDSA!

Nicola

I was searching for it the other day and came up with 3 companies that do it - petplan, healthy pets and another one that actually offers cover for rats (which is how I found it) but I have a feeling that healthy pets is the same policy as the last company.

I am still not sure whether I will get pet insurance. They probably exclude a lot of typical bunny things. The insurance would have to cover dental problems and chronic diseases, espcially in older buns. And it should cost less than 10 Pounds per month. I'd be willing to pay an excess of 50 Pounds.

I only found two providers I think. They were both WAY to expensive to consider insuring six rabbits - especially with an excess of around £50. Its just not worth doing IMO when you have quite a few.

Its definately not worth insuring 15 :shock: :roll:

Hey ho, thats what a credit cards for I guess :roll:

I don't think it is worth insuring 2 bunnies. By the time you have taken out the exclusions and paid the excess, it just isn't worth it. I prefer to keep save money for vet bills.

I did find a few providers but they all wanted around £9 a month per bun and a £65 excess!! OK so I live in the South East but my vets are a very reasonable price. Also there is so much smallprint especially in relation to dental stuff, that I just didn't think it was worth it. I'd be interested in a special insurance for foster rabbits though!

Both Daisy and Bertie are insured. I would always insure my buns after having a very sickly bun (Lily, now at the bridge) the insurance was worth its weight in gold! It's actually a bit of a bug bear of mine that so many insurers only cover cats and dogs, it's like rabbits don't matter... same old story isn't it... it's great if your company is looking into it as it would be lovely to have a bit more choice.

I personally haven't bothered with rabbit insurance. When you actually work out how much it costs in premiums and excesses, you would have to be claiming a lot for it to be worth while. As they exclude things like teeth - you would still have to allow for vet bills anyway. I have a pet savings fund and then a credit card if needed.

I have a very poorly dog (runt of the litter) who is insured and I make on average 3 claims a year. My the time you allow for the premiums and then the excess per claim (per year) - I am not actually better off by having him insured either... Though I wouldn't dare not have him insured - he is very sickly.

I agree that insurance for bunnys would be so much more worth the deal if they covered dental....
I do have my bunny insured and am going to insure the one that arrived last night right now...
Although I havent needed to claim yet.... I nearly did, and I was grateful that I had it there....
if it means going without something that I didnt need anyways in aid of my bunnies I will do it.

If only there was an insurance that didn't cover one particular rabbit, one that you could just pay out the amount per month then which ever rabbit gets ill can use it, instead of only the bun that is insured, it really pees me off how it works, its just not worth it, if you get one bun insured its pretty likely it will be the other that has all the probs :roll: ....

Back