• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what would everyone do

elaine

Mama Doe
I have had some young rabbits come in this week and one has a very white eye so I took it to the vet and apparantly it is infection inside the eye so he has prescribed metacam, baytil, panacur, I did ask how much it would be for its eye to be removed as he has hinted that is going to have to happen.

My dilema is do I take his word for it and the cost of £180 which I can ill afford with the rescue or do I keep trying the drugs or go for his option of PTS which I really don't want to happen as she is extremely friendly

this week seems to have been one long vet bill

hi Elaine i would go with the drugs for a while to see if there is any improvement...if not then go with eye removal.....keeping fingers crossed xx
PS Vets bills..eh?! :roll: :shock:

i feel for you but like most rescues we all get these sorts of cases in, example.. i have had two major dentals bunnies in both of which came in in the same week :shock: , and have had a whole host of others stuff like hagrid (dwalf lop) the day he was ment to be rehomed i found a lump which had to be removed that day.... unfortunately its part and parcel of being a rescue, get a credit card :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my polcy is i will ALWAYS get a bunny treated rather that pts, i personally couldnt live with myself if i had to pts for lack of money :cry: sorry but that how i feel, not to say you should but we live in times were credit is readily available and couldnt justify personally

If the vet says it's going to have to be removed anyway, wouldn't it be better just to get it done now? Could you not ring other vets to get a better quote?

it is not a case of money alone it is the fact that I am finding that people always want a "perfect" animal and anything slightly wrong and they run in the opposite direction,

You say the eye is white. Is it sore? Is there a discharge?

My Strawberry has one entirely white eye from an old injury and it has never caused him a problem. He can obviously see something out of it as you can't sneak up on him from that side. It has never had a dischrge and never looks sore and I have never seen him messing with it.

£180 sounds alot for an eye removal. I had one done a month ago and it cost £100 but that included a dental as well as the rabbits teeth had caused an abcess. The vet did offer euthanasia as a alternative( eye was painful and drugs had not worked) but I refused.

I wouldn't think that either having a missing eye or a white one causing no probs would stop people adopting. Quite often people like to take on an animal with a special need.

Sounds like your Vet has diagnosed an EC induced Uveitis.
Enucleation (eye removal) is not always necessary as once the acute condition has been addressed (eliminating the EC with Panacur, treating secondary infection with Baytril and reducing pain and inflammation with Metacam) then the long term condition can be controlled with twice daily application of MAXITROL (steroidal) eye drops.

Janex

elaine said:
it is not a case of money alone it is the fact that I am finding that people always want a "perfect" animal and anything slightly wrong and they run in the opposite direction,
Are you going to post a picture of him? Someone might just fall inlove with him! I'm sure lots of people (like me) really fall for the sad stories and sometimes even go looking for the most tragic looking bun to rescue!

Hi there,

Alice had her eye removed about 18 months ago and I would definately have that done rather than have the bun pts. It cost around £90 but maybe prices have gone up a bit, I would think that £180 sounds very high though.

Alice is absolutely fine now with her "non eye" as we call it. I actually wish we'd got it done before her problem got so bad that there was no other option. Alice had an abscess behind her eye and after several months of trying to get rid of the abscess it started to push her eye outwards until she couldn't shut her eye. It was really awful to see...and for her to go through.

It's a lot of work afterwards with the aftercare, but well worth it.

Gemma

I have to agree with the other's, I know it can be a big drain on resources but we have to try.
Good luck

I discussed this with the OH last night, interesting conversation. He pointed out that although sad for this bun, perhaps the £180 would be better spent on rescuing other buns with a greater chance of rehoming. Understandably on this forum everyone loves their bunnies and would stop at nothing to get them well. However, sad as it is, this bun isn't a much loved pet and Elaine has to find a home for it. No one would be willing to donate £200 to cover vet expenses and you have to think about how many more bunnies this money could help.

As I say, this isn't my personal opinion, so don't lynch me, but an alternative opinion looking solely at the costs/benefits (he's an accountant cant' you tell?)

kayjay said:
I discussed this with the OH last night, interesting conversation. He pointed out that although sad for this bun, perhaps the £180 would be better spent on rescuing other buns with a greater chance of rehoming. Understandably on this forum everyone loves their bunnies and would stop at nothing to get them well. However, sad as it is, this bun isn't a much loved pet and Elaine has to find a home for it. No one would be willing to donate £200 to cover vet expenses and you have to think about how many more bunnies this money could help.

As I say, this isn't my personal opinion, so don't lynch me, but an alternative opinion looking solely at the costs/benefits (he's an accountant cant' you tell?)

I kinda understand your OH's point. It is a good one and it does make sence, but i dont know. Im stuck on this one. Eeeeek. Dont sure where i lay on this one.

m
xx

eerrrmmm toughie, why not continue with the meds and phone around and see if there is a lower cost vet that will do it. maybe get a second opinon?

If it is only her eye and everything else is fine i wouldn't want want to PTS just becuase of that, as Eve said unexpected costs do come up whether your rescuing or a pet owner.

Elaine - if it comes to it and the meds dont work, if you cant afford to get the eye removed send the bunny down to me. My vet only charges me about £80 for an eye removal and I would have no problem finding a home for a bunny with only one eye. Afterall, I did manage to find a home for bunny who is 10 years old and had one eye removed ;)
The offer is there if you want it, I am sure something could be arranged for transport.

sgprescue said:
Elaine - if it comes to it and the meds dont work, if you cant afford to get the eye removed send the bunny down to me. My vet only charges me about £80 for an eye removal and I would have no problem finding a home for a bunny with only one eye. Afterall, I did manage to find a home for bunny who is 10 years old and had one eye removed ;)
The offer is there if you want it, I am sure something could be arranged for transport.

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sgprescue said:

Aaawwwww Cheryl what a very kind offer, you are a sweetie :D :D
I completely understand that this a difficult situation Elaine, and it is easy for people to say get a credit card. The problem with this is once you begin the debt spiral it is hard to get out of it, and being able to get a card in the first place depends upon your own income.
I think it is good advice to try some of the meds first and play it by ear, and in the meantime try and find a cheaper vet(or use Cheryls as she suggested) who may allow you to have an account at the practice and spread the cost over a few months.
Long term, perhaps you could set up a sponsor a hutch scheme for your rescue, and even if people only donate 5 each a month, it makes a bug difference overall as it is regular amounts of money.
I know you want the very best for this little rabbit, as else you would not have posted here for advice.
Please let us know what you decide to do :)
Best wishes
Adele

Back