• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations and vet recommendations

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
You've probably answered these question's so often you're fed up of it, so I'll say sorry in advance :lol:

I was at the vets with my rats today so I thought I'd find out about rabbit vacs. I found out the prices and then asked if the myxi and vhd had to be given at different times. Anyway the girl went and asked the vet and he said he was willing to give them both at the same time but that the manufacturers recommend doing them a week apart.

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a gap between them (and how long it should be) and tell me why they shouldn't be given together if that's the case??

I found my current vet (Mark Trehearne at Heron vets) through recommendations from other rat owners and he's great with my rats so I thought it'd be worth seeing if any of you have any recommendations for a good rabbit vet near me?? I'm in Sutton, Surrey.

Bonnie on here lives in Surbiton and will give you details of a vet near her. Animal lifeline a rescue near you use a Vet that they recommend according to their website - Based in Sutton - David More 0208 641 6126/

Further afield ARC recomend Twickenham Vetinary Surgery who have the lovely Cristabel. If you want details please pm me.

doh silly me, I forgot about animal lifeline - not a good thing as I was planning to adopt rabbits from there or furryfriends when the time comes :oops: :oops:

I think A/L also uses my vets but if they recommend a different vet there must be a good reason. The one in Sutton would be good for me then cos I don't drive so that's the easiest one for me to get to.

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a gap between them (and how long it should be) and tell me why they shouldn't be given together if that's the case??

The usual recommended gap is two weeks. The two vaccines are not made by the same manufacturer so have not been tested together and are not licensed to be given together, hence the two week "safety margin".

Also, because the vaccines require an immune response from the rabbit, I'd be happier giving the vaccines 2 weeks apart to ensure that they don't 'overload' the rabbit's system and an adequate immune response is generated to each vaccine. I have no evidence to back up this part, it's just a feeling of mine :lol:

I was told 2 weeks when I had mine done too. I agree with Alison's rationale too - it just sounds risky.

Benny was given both together and was very listless and wouldn't eat for a few days after. Since then I found out they should really be given two weeks apart. I think it overloads their immune system if they're both given together. I definately wouldn't have them done together again.

My friend went to the same vets a week or so later for her buns vacs and they were given two weeks apart from the same vet. I think she learnt from her mistake with Benny!!! :x

Back