• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are males more friendly?

Beaney

Mama Doe
I have just been to Pets at Home (for the first time in a while) and was having a nosey round at the rabbits and guinea pigs (not a lot to say really - nice big pens, hay, food, toys etc :) ) but one thing I did notice was...

They have put up these huge signs about what to expect in rabbit ownership - they should be neutered, vaccinated, life expectancy and should live in pairs etc. All good stuff - but then it said 'Males are more friendly'. It also said the same on the guinea pig signs.

I have only ever had male rabbits (this is not intentional, just the way it has worked out) and they have always been friendly but is there truth in this? Anyone else found that the boys are more friendly?

Depends on the individual rabbits, I guess. I can say however that out of the four females I have, only one is super friendly and loves a cuddle. The other three can quite happily live without people around... :roll:

All the males I have however seem much more people orientated... that's all 5 of them, with only one of them a little more shy.

But perhaps that's just my lot... not sure! :)

cherylwares said:
They're certainly more friendly before being "deplummed" :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello!

I have a male and a female bun, My female bunny is alot friendlier, she will sit there while i give her a nose rub, but the male is like a 2 year old child and is full of beans, just wants to get into everything, so wont sat there and be patted! :D

Before I got my male George I researched which sex was best to own.
I decided on a male as I read that males make better free range house rabbits as they tend to dig less and are usualy not as messy as girls.
I also read that males tend to bond better with a female owner and females to a male owner.
Also, because females have more hormonal mood swings they tend to be more grumpy. (This is sorted out by spaying though)

However the breeder I got George from also told me that these are generalisations, and not always the case a lot just depends on the individual bunny how it has been reared and the temperament of it's parents.

George is a great big softy who loves a cuddle, and has never ever shown any aggression. However I don't have a girl to compare him with. And I have seen on here that many people have beautiful soppy,cuddly girls.

I would say that it depends on the character of the rabbit. Though saying that my male rabbits is friendlier than my female rabbit.

I would say it is very true to say males are friendly.We have had bunnies since i was 6 and out of the 5 females and 4 males we have had the males have all been alot more friendly.The females like male humans and the male buns like female humans!!

Well - I had never heard of it before but I guess there is some truth in it (though there will always be exceptions).

Maybe that explains why I always fall in love with the boys - sub-conciously (sp?) I must have known! :lol:

Well I have an incredibly friendly female! Though she is grumpy in her own special way! But she loves nothing better than a nice nose rub and comes flying up the garden to you, love her!

The more I think about it, the more I think it was a strange thing to put on a sign - because every animal is different. I hope it doesn't put people who see it off having girls....

I've got three girls and boy, and the girls are WELL messy!! Might be cause their's three of them, but their hutch is like a bomb has hit it!!!! Stud (my boy) is neat, but can sometimes move his litter tray and mess it up. Naughty Stud!

m
xx

My girls are friendly and love attention! They're not particularly cuddly though, they like to do their own thing :lol: .

mit - my 2 girl guinea pigs are really messy. I cleaned them out yesterday and within 15 minutes they had destroyed everything. :lol:

My boy bun - he is very tidy. I only have to do his litter tray everyday and then a 'big clean' once a week!

My boys have always been like puppies follwing me around whereas the girls really couldn't give a stuff if I'm there or not, as long as I have food lol, but my rex Suki is a complete sweetheart! She gets so excited to see me and climbs all over me all the time! She's only a baby (about 14 weeks) so I'm expecting this to change in a few months and she'll probably be going for my throat!

Maybe they have more boys than girls?
Breeders are more likely to retain girls to replace the ones whose health they have destroyed by breeding them too much :cry: I am sure this is why female guineas are much much harder to obtain :? So they are trying to steer people to the males....

I would agree. i have had several of both, and id only have boys now.

the girls were definately less people buns than the boys.

ive had 4 girls, and 5 boys.

Yeah I saw tht in the ABerdeen Pets at Home today as well, my 1st time in 1 2 so was havin a gd inspection! I have males, but couldnt say frm personal experience if friendlier as havent had females. Did work with a lady who told me before I got mine tho that she'd had 4, 1st 3 were females and 4th male, said male had more 'personality' females less active, but wasnt sure if this was cuz of sex or breed (he's a nethie & The rest werent).

Personally, I would think it must depend on the bunny, u wouldnt say female humans were more friendly than males or whatever!

Back