• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can buns catch anything from cats?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Can buns catch anything in the way of illnesses or parasites from cats and how can you prevent this from happening?

I haven't ever wormed Harvey but a couple of months ago he was very poorly. He had tummy, GI problems for over a month . He had blood tests, x rays and a dental but the vets couldn't find what was wrong with the little man. After a month of syringe feeds he perked up for a month but now he has become miserable again.

I took him back to the vets yesterday and he had a couple of very small spikes on his bottom molars which were filed down but the vet told me they were only very small and not touching his tongue, mouth etc.
Yesterday evening he was miserable and hiding away again and I have visions of a repeat performance of last time.

I am grasping at straws but I wondered whether he could have caught anything from my cats, such as worms etc or does anybody else have any ideas?

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Zion had these about a month ago. I found them around his bottom on a routine check. I took him to Woodlands and the vet (I forget her name) gave me some panacur. One dose for that day and one for 3 weeks later if needed. Zion was fine though - eating, pooing and weeing fine. He was his fine and perky self - I only managed to find them by checking his bottom.

I think it's because there are a fair few wild bunnies round here, domestic bunnies are more susceptible. I would imagine they have to get pretty bad to make a bunny miserable though and if he did have them I am sure you would see them on your routine bottom checks. Not sure.....

Worms are not common in rabbits, but any animal that has them is spreading them. What happens is the worms when ready come out of the rabbit and lay eggs on grass normally these can then be injested by any animal thats eating the grass. Fleas can be past from cats to any other animal. If rabbits are heavely infected with fleas it can make them feel poorly. De flea your cat regulary and de flea your rabbit just in case.What youve described dosent sound like worms though. Ive been racking my brains but carnt think why this keeps coming back. val

Back