• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do any of you regularly treat buns with panacur?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hi,

I wondered whether any of you routinely treat your buns with panacur?
I've been reading about worm infections, EC and how this can be spread by fleas. One of my buns has been poorly recently and had blood tests etc that didn't show anything up. I wondered whether it may be worth treating him with panacur just as a precaution.

He only weight 1.3 kilos so I don't know how much he would need and whether it's advisable or not.

Can anyone advise?

Hugs,

Nic n Harvey xxx

Hello,

He hasn't been tested for it.

He wasn't right a couple of months ago. He had x-rays, dentals, blood tests, but not for an infection. He was poorly for over a month, lost weight. I had to syringe feed him. He would just hide behind the sofa hunched up and looking miserable. His guts slowed down. The vets never got to the bottom of it. He has been fine the last month and then on Friday he started hiding away again and looking miserable.

I took him to the vets yesterday as I thought maybe his molars had grown. He had a few small spikes on his bottom molars that were filed down under gas. The spikes were small and were not touching his cheek, tongue, mouth. Yesterday evening he was miserable and hid away all night. I have visions of a repeat performance of last time when he had over a month of being miserable and nobody figuring out what is wrong with him.

I wondered whether it could be EC. I hate seeing my little man like this. What are the symptoms of EC?

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back