• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Puppy.....am I being disloyal to my buns?

minilops

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone! I have two mini-lops, Teddy and Poppy and of course, I absolutely love them!! I've always had rabbits and these two, although they live outside in a VERY large hutch with run, they come indoors most evenings for a run in our lounge. Like everyone's buns on here, they are much loved and very well cared for. Now, the question is......my husband and children have been on about a cocker spaniel pup for about two years and a few months back, we put our names down for one and you've guessed it, one has become available and husband and children want to go and have a look. I've told them that in no way do I want my buns to come second place and they must still come in as usual, although obviously we'd keep the puppy out of the room. I'm sure everyone has felt like this, if they've considered another pet, but I don't want my bunnies to suffer or feel neglected in any way. Of course, as I said I ADORE my rabbits and would never make them take second place, but I can't help worrying about it. Does anyone have any advice? Claire x

I got my Cavalier King Charles pup when my bun was about 5 years old. I had the same fears that you did - that somehow the rabbit would end up second place. It turns out I had nothing to worry about and I decided I would try to get everyone to live happily together so that no animal had to ever be excluded.

I was very careful that the puppy couldn't scare Austin (my bun) but once the pup had some basic training, I did allow them some very supervised meetings (the pup went in his dog crate, the rabbit tormented him from the outside :lol: ). You do have to be very careful because, obviously, the instinct for the dog will be 'get rabbit' and the poor bun will be scared half to death. There is always the more rare situation that I had in that my guinea pig, attacked the puppy - which I did not see coming :shock:

5 years on they are very good friends and there is no second places - they are all spoiled rotten. In fact, this morning, the STUPID dog was actually in the hutch with Austin - looked a bit cramped but Austin didn't seem to care! :lol:

Thank you, Sabrina. You've helped ease my mind. It's just that I love my bunnies so much and they do get loads of attention from me so I'm sure they would never come second place. Obviously I wouldn't be letting the puppy get to the bunnies in any way. I just feel a bit disloyal to them! Claire x

I think you will be fine - you obviously love your bunnies so they won't go without. I am very lucky because mine all get along - but a lot of that depends on the animals though. Luckily, my dog is very placid and no threat what so ever to any of my other pets :) Useless guard dog as well.

Make sure you post a picture when you get a puppy - I love cocker spaniels :love:

I got a puppy a few weeks ago and i don't feel like i have made my bunnies second place, i just give them the same amount of attention i just have less time for RU.

I had my dog first. I felt the same fears when I got George and wanted hi to be a house rabbit. I knew how gentle my dog was, but there are still all the doubts that things may not work out. I need not have worried. It all went so well, they bonded from first meeting, and are now best of friends :D
kissgeorge_005.jpg

bdaycake_010.jpg

awwwwwwww those photos are gorgeous...
I think all the advice you've got so far is great....
Just be careful -I am sure everything will work out , its obvious you love your bunnies.

We had our two cavaliers and got a mini lop house rabbit. Inroduced them carefully and they loved each other. Then we got three more buns that have the run of the garden and house and the dogs accepted them all. This is the result.
2006_07300038.jpg

2005_12190143.jpg

2005_12190303.jpg

Good luck with your puppy. Pam.

Back