• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying and Cancer - What are the facts

Jem

Young Bun
Hi

I''ve got two rabbits, a brother and sister both about 6 months old. The boy's castrated already and reacted fine to the anesthetic and such. I'm now considering getting his siter done as I've heard about the dangers of uterine cancer in rabbits.

I just have a few questions first,

is there much research to back up the figures, I've found a little bit on the net but it was a really limited investigation with relativly few rabbits involved.

Has anyone not spayed there rabbits and found that they do commenly get this. My vets said they rarely if ever get rabbits in with uterine cancer nor do they regularly spay for it (cumbria is kind of backwards though).

Is there any more accurate figures for what percentage of girls get it?

What age is good to spay from?

Whats the typical costs for a spay (it cost £60 to castrate her brother)

Can she be left with her brother should I take her in as I don't want to seperate them again really.

Also a general one, what is the average life expectancy for a medium sized rabbit both boy and girl as I'm not actually sure, we had a rabbit when i was little and he lived to 13 but I know that was quite old for a rabbit.

Thanks

Jemma

Hi Jem

I don't know the 'facts', I'm sure more experienced bunny owners will be along soon. However my vet said that more than 80% of does get uterine cancer and she said "if I had a female rabbit I would spay her". So your vet does sound a bit behind with the times! I went ahead and got Pippa spayed, she was absolutely fine and it cost £70. I've seen figures on this site ranging from £40 or so up to over £100. As your vet doesn't seem that 'bunny friendly', it might be worth ringing round for prices and advice.

the vet ARC use were very anti neutering prior to ARC using them, since Cristabel has been neutering all our rabbits which are rehomed she has now changed her view about neutering and is very pro having them done. This isn't because she wants more work as she has enough without us taking in animals for neutering, rather that many of the female rabbits over 2 years which she neuters have some signs of early changes.

I think the problem is there are a lot of sites on the net that state 'facts' when mearly, they are things that they have heard or read and have no proof of. Anything that will prolong your buns life and make her have a more comfortable time can only be a good thing, but do get quotes, some vets have a huge difference in what they charge, also is the fact that she'll be less hormonal and not have false pregnancies which can really take it out of a bun.

I'd say if not most, a very high percentage of buns over 3 years old we spay have some uterine changes. (This can be pyo(infection), cysts, tumours.)

Back