• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not getting does spayed- who hasnt?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
So we all know the benefits in terms of uterine cancer and improved behaviour...but has anyone taken the decision not to neuter their females? And if so why?

I am curious as Audrey is booked in for her spay next week.

I've only recently had my girls spayed although they are 4 and 1 years old.

I only didn't get them done as I was worried about how I would cope with them post op.

As it happens, the 4 year old had to have an emergency spay after bleeding badly from her uterus. After this I then had the 1 year old done as well.

The post op care was fine, I was fine and the rabbits were fine! Just wish I'd done it earlier especially after Sooty's uterine problems.

Kate

I had one rabbit (Miss Marple) she died of overian cancer. It was horrible. I now tell anyone and everyone to please, please spay your female bunny.

I'm reading Frances Harcourt-Brown and it says "if a rabbit survived to the 5th year of life without the occurence of a uterine tumor, which is contrary to probability, the chances are better than 3-1 that a tumor would develop by the 7th year"

My oldest girl is five now and hasn't developed any probs, but whether thats due to the fact she was bred from prolifically in the first 2 and a half years of her life I don't know :?

I'm more worried about having her spayed than any of my others

I think if they have been bread then that can make a diffrence, but as soon as she is not having litters she should still be spayed, to prevent tumors.

i would never ever take the risk of having one of my buns have to suffer somthing that was preventable.

I would never leave a doe unspeyed now. I had 6 year old Bambi speyed today and the vet found several tumours in her uterus. I've had a couple of young females with tumours discovered on speying. The risk of a spey op are now so small I couldn't justify not having a bun done.
Some people also believe speyed does die at a young age..again this is incorrect.

My two aren't spayed, but definitely will be. I just kept putting it off because I was (and still am) worried about the aftercare and really worried about finding the best vet for the job, and now I've run into financial troubles :oops: but as soon as I've paid my most urgent debts they'll be down the vets.

I wouldn't leave them unspayed because I would like them to be partnered up within the next 6 months, and the cancer risk is far too high.

Neither of mine really show behavioural problems related to hormones though.

There is no need to worry about after care. I know it knocks some buns about but Bambi leapt up onto the settee the morning after her spey I mucked myself! :shock:

All my girls are speyed, 2 were already done by RSPCA but I would deffo always get them speyed young as when they get older the worry for their survivla of GA I imagine is higher.

Spey all the way is what I say! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AlisonA said:
nicole said:
I think if they have been bread then that can make a diffrence.

I thought that was now shown to be an urban myth and statistically it makes no difference :wink:
Sorry I just thought if they were using all their female bits then they would not get tumors.

If I'm wrong then I'm sorry.

Amy isn't spayed, she is 3 now - I'm just too worried about losing her under the anaesthetic! No matter how much I tell myself she will be fine I just keep putting it off! Pippa wasn't spayed and she was 6 and a half when she was PTS, my other bunny Amber was 6 when she passed away. Princess is only one that is spayed + she was done before she came here - to be honest I wouldn't take on a rabbit that wasn't spayed or castrated now, as I know I am too much of a scaredy cat to do it and I would prefer that they were done!

AlisonA said:
nicole said:
I think if they have been bread then that can make a diffrence.

I thought that was now shown to be an urban myth and statistically it makes no difference :wink:

ARC have taken in a number of females from breeders whom had been previously berd, when they were neutered there were early changes and some have had active tumours.

I have has a doe come in recently and chose to have her spayed and when they vet came to do the op the tumors were too wide spread to save her, she had previously been a breeding rabbit before coming to me and she was only 3 and there was nothing more to be done

I try to get most does done and pick the spraying bucks or the scatty ones

elaine

I didn't know about the importance of having a rabbit speyed until I visited this website and I have had rabbits for years. I have never been told by any vet about this.

As far as I can tell all most of my females have been OK in this department, but I have lost them due to other illnesses/events. Obviously that doesn't mean that there wasn;t something happening inside though.

One of the first things I had done with the two I have, when i got them, was to have them speyed.

Back