• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can mum and daughter live together?

Aimee84

Warren Scout
Have any of you had any experience with a mum and daughter living together? Neither have been spayed they have been separate for four weeks but like to run round the garden together and get on well. As Billy has been castrated I wanted to bond him with either Khyber or Millie but would be lovely if they would make a trio does anybody think this could work? Billy still has to be on his own for a while longer as he was only castrated last week.

Any help and advice greatly recieved,

Thanks

I have a Mother and her two daughters unspayed living together :D

Soon to be spayed though :?

i have mum neutered dad and 3 daughters living together.
i dont ever shut mine away though, so they have the run of the bunnyhouse 24/7, i think it is improtant that they can get away from each other if needs be. my bunnyhouse is approx 3 meters by 5 meters (take out a bit of space for a freezer and animal bath etc). they are going to have a permanent run attatched to one end too, but not till i have been convinced that the badgers at the bottom of next doors garden have moved out :shock:
they havent been seen all summer, so if there is no sign of them over the winter the run will be made in spring :D

My lot all live together and they are mum, dad(deplumbed) and two daughters. They have all lived together for over 7mths now and have had no problems, they do have enough space to get away from each other if they want to though. :D

Yes they can. Rescue buns Bilbo and her daughter Bluebell are living together and bringing up litters together as well. Dad, Crackers (neutered!), and the two girls go out together during the day and all get on, so yes, a trio can work really well. I would recommend you get them spayed though, better for them health wise.

It certainly shouldn't be a problem to have the three together, you may find that this sort of pairing is more reliable if they are neutered. Once you have them together do not split them up, where one goes they all should go.

Bunyipboy said:
why cant you split them up?

because it can break the bond, even if they are seperated for a short while.

Ouver here the advice is to take them everywhere together, including vet visits.

Yes, leaving them together the whole time is the best, the only reason I split Crackers from the girls at night is because of their kits. I am lucky with them, they are happy with being together during the day and apart at night, but the bonding with them was the easiest I've ever done. Some rabbits will scuffle and sort out a hierarcy before settling down and if you split them this has to be re-established each time. Once the kits are weaned they will live together as a three permanently.

Back