• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Holly (lionhead) is ill (very poorly) - update 28/09

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
She normally is very greedy, but she's hardly touched her pellets since Saturday, I was very shocked to see nearly a full bowl Sunday morning. She seemed fine in herself though, I went to the fruit farm come home and while talking you Bryn she'd had her head in the bag and eating the cabbage. So I wasn't too worried as she was eating, she was totally lively and hopping about. I picked up one squidgy poo off the carpet from her at about 6.30 (she never poo's on the carpet).

Last night she seem to feel sorry for herself and I hadn't seen another poo from her. I tried to tempt her to eat some carrot and cabbage but she didn't want to eat. She took herself off to bed. She woke up about 11.30 and ate her carrot.

This morning she was back to her normal self (character wise), I let her out and she's had a couple of nibbles of weetabix, but still no poo's. She's booked into the vets for 6.30 tonight, any ideas? I've felt her tummy and all feels fine, I'd given her some kittymalt last night because I thought it maybe because she's moulting. Now I'm not so sure!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Could be overgrown back teeth? Esmerelda did that- she stopped eating pellets, but was ok with veggies as they were softer and also had squidgy poos. She just had to have her back teeth burred down.

Good luck at the vets xx

Thank you, actually I did think that in the car this morning, I wondered whether it could be her teeth.

Holly is still not eating, Bryn is off with her, she's managed a bit of brocolli :(

Aw bless her. When I first took E to the vets when she wasnt eating they diagnosed some kind of stomach upset and charged me £40 for the privilege. They had a look at her back teeth and said they were a bit sharp but ok.

After advice on here i took her to another vet the next day who said it was defiently her teeth, did a GA to burr them down and over the next couple of days she started eating fine again.

Hope shes ok

Thank you I hope it's just her teeth :( , Bryn said she's not happy at all, but she has managed two little poo's :(

Yeah I thought there seems to be alot at the minute. I think I am going to throw a sickie in a minute to get home to her, I am really worrying now, she is my baby :cry: , she's a proper cuddly bunny and always gets up on the sofa for her fuss :( , she such a lovely bunny.

Hiya Thanks for asking :D

She's had her teeth check and they're fine. Mel gave her a jab to start her guts, but there has been no poo's over night, I've got three days supplies of rescue recovery and she was suppose to go back on Thursday, but I'm just waiting for the vet to call me back, as I'm still worried :(

The vets have called me back if she's not done anything by tonight she's got to go back :(

Tree so sorry I missed this :( Hoping Holly feels much better very soon.
Please keep us posted.
Best wishes
XX

Ditto. All the best to Holly.

I vaguely recall another member has an identical problem of not getting any poos for 24 hr. or more, and she fixed it. It's a recent thread, but I don't remember where it is. And I don't know if that would help or not.

What's the diagnosis from the vet though? What's the cause?

Thanks guys :(

Well Mel thought it was her teeth, but all her teeth were fine, she had a couple of very tiny spurs on her back ones, but she said it wouldn't be causing her any problems. She was neutered, around January time, She's up-to date with all her jabs.

I took poo from Saturday with me (which were tiny) and the runny poo she had. I took them in plastic bags :oops: :lol: .
Mel said Saturdays poo's were small, she felt her tummy and said everything felt fine. She weighed her and she was the same weight as what she was last time she was weighed there.

She is fairly lively, although I think her eyes looked a bit tired this morning and I made her some porridge, with water and put a bit of sugar in (I'm trying anything to get her to eat), I syringe fed her last night and she was really annoyed with me and had enough about her to keep running off.

I think Mel thought she would be back to normal after the jab and had her follow up appointment for Thursday, but she's told me to take her back tonight, this morning. Holly had bit the head off a brocolli, but never ate it.

Bryn has taken today off work with her, I will take tomorrow off :(

how about giving her a small amount of baby food? All buns ive had have gone mad for it- try apple and banana or carrot and sweetorn. It might stimulate her appetite?

yep I will get soem from Asda when I go out for lunch. She didn't like the recovery food last night, but I managed to get it over her face and she did lick it off. She is normally such a good eater :(

Sorry ,I have not been around 'Care' for a day or so and have only just seen this.
Although the Vet may have looked at Holly's teeth with light thingy it is often possible to miss a molar spur when Bun is still awake.
Was Holly given any pain relief? Preferably by injection. If she has pain her guts will slow down and she wont eat which will slow the guts down even more.

Is she weeing and drinking her normal amount? Has she a history of sludgey wee? Bladder sludge can cause cystitis like pain.

Did the Vet check Holly's ears. An ear infection can cause head pain, especially when eating.

I would def' request pain relief for her if she has not had any. Metoclopromide, whilst promoting gut motility, can cause gripey tummy pain as the guts are 'speeded up'.

Sorry this is all a bit speculative and I really hope Holly gets better soon.

Janex

Back