• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Someone was asking about guinea housing

rngpwelfare

Mama Doe
Here's my set up for my herd of 9. Hopefully soon to be 11

There never shut in and as you can see have pleanty of room in their 12ftx6ft run and two storey hutch

Housing-run.JPG

Here's the herd of 9, one neutered male and 8 females some neutered and some not at the moment

herdsept.JPG

Wow your piggies look really happy, that's so much more natural living in a herd isn't it? How do they go on in winter? Are they ok outside? Do you have any tips on coping with extremes of weather?

They stay in there all winter, as long as the hutch is dry and they have pleanty of clean dry bedding they seem to be fine.

They do have a tarpaulin that goes over the wire mesh doors, but that's just to keep the rain out. I've never had a problem with piggies outside during winter. I find that there coats grow thicker and they cope fine.
Although all my piggies are in a very sheltered area.

I even let them out to graze on the grass as long as it's not frosted.

Do people spay guinea pigs routinely then? I'd always heard it was very risky so have only been advised to do it if the piggy has a hormonal problem.

oh, i thought it was like rabbits? fine, i'll get the boys neauterd, i am going to get them a thistle hall with run attached

SarahP said:
Do people spay guinea pigs routinely then? I'd always heard it was very risky so have only been advised to do it if the piggy has a hormonal problem.

I do every sow that comes through the rescue unless her health won't allow it and then she would stay in my herd.
That's not the case with the herd I have at the moment though, it's just that I haven't had time to do them all yet but they will be done, :)

rngpwelfare said:

There never shut in and as you can see have pleanty of room in their 12ftx6ft run and two storey hutch

Housing-run.JPG

Here's the herd of 9, one neutered male and 8 females some neutered and some not at the moment

herdsept.JPG

Are you sure you dont want to send your little SA over to me, I fell in love with her the first time I saw her :love:
So who are the other 2 then? one wouldnt happen to be a certain lovely lilac lady would it?;)

One thing I have never thought to ask you, I know you have drainage in the main run but do you cover the run when it rains?

The two new ones will be a certain lilac boar and sow that might have come from you. Yes at long last I've had Jupitor neutered and he's going in as part of an experiment to see if I can get two boars to live together with a group of sows. No you can't have Granny smith either :lol:

As for covering the run when it rains nope I find they quite like it as long as it isn't to hard and they don't seem to mind snow either. :shock:

rngpwelfare said:
The two new ones will be a certain lilac boar and sow that might have come from you. Yes at long last I've had Jupitor neutered and he's going in as part of an experiment to see if I can get two boars to live together with a group of sows. No you can't have Granny smith either :lol:

As for covering the run when it rains nope I find they quite like it as long as it isn't to hard and they don't seem to mind snow either. :shock:

Now why am I not suprised :lol: 8)

so do the guineas sit out in the rain or do they go into the hutch? :wink:

Fabulous accomodation, bet the piggies love roaming around in there :D

Would it be OK to keep pigs in a shed with rabbits, seperately ofcourse but in the same shed? I'm wondering about passing on diseases?

Rabswood

sgprescue said:
rngpwelfare said:

Housing-run.JPG

herdsept.JPG

Are you sure you dont want to send your little SA over to me, I fell in love with her the first time I saw her :love:
So who are the other 2 then? one wouldnt happen to be a certain lovely lilac lady would it?;)

One thing I have never thought to ask you, I know you have drainage in the main run but do you cover the run when it rains?

EXCUSE ME, YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE LITTLE SA!:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x !!!! She is too small to fit in with your other silver agouti's so she has to stay here.

rabswood said:
Fabulous accomodation, bet the piggies love roaming around in there :D

Would it be OK to keep pigs in a shed with rabbits, seperately ofcourse but in the same shed? I'm wondering about passing on diseases?

Rabswood

I'm keeping them in the same shed so I hope it's ok.

I love your piggy set-up and showed it enthusiastically to my OH who said something along the lines of OH MY GOD :lol: :lol:

I'll talk him round ..........

Back