• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh oh Honey's not happy.............

lucyj

Mama Doe
He's been timid with me before, as doesn't really like being picked up, but we got past that. Tonight tho is the first time either one had 'thrown a mood at me', he is NOT a happy bunny! Thumping his feet, giving me dirty looks, ignoring me, refusing to take food from my hand even, the lot. My crime you ask? What did I do to him?

I committed the cardinal sin of...........shutting them in the hutch for the night!!

For the last 4 months roughly I've been leaving the ladder 2 their run in 24/7 so they can come and go as they please, and they've been sleeping out in their run in the litter tray & a cardboard box of straw, only really using the hutch 2 sleep in the afternoons. It's a really really misty night tho (I got soaked just going out 2 feed them and it isn't raining) so decided 2 shut them in for their own good, Honey doesn't seem 2 see it like that tho :roll: :lol:

Oh dear. Its a difficult one.

I have to say all our rabbits, over the years, have been free to come and go from hutch to run 24/7. (This is when they are not in the garden during the day).

The run is weatherproof in that it is covered with corragated (sp?) plastic. I cannot imagine shutting them in the hutch!

Oh dear. Its a difficult one.

I have to say all our rabbits, over the years, have been free to come and go from hutch to run 24/7. (This is when they are not in the garden during the day).

The run is weatherproof in that it is covered with corragated (sp?) plastic. I cannot imagine shutting them in the hutch!

Even in the winter? and they'r ok? This is my 1st winter with them, Id read on here that they did ok with cold if enough bedding etc but not goood with damp & drafts, tht's why shut them in as was really bad night. I intend buying a tough, clear tarpauline this week which will go right over hutch and run, but at the mo I jst have a small tarpauline which covers the front of the hutch, and a large piece of board on top of the run, so the run has no protection at the sides.

I live on the north east of scotland, possibly in the coldest place in the country, only 5 mins from the seafront, so it gets pretty wild out there! The few nights befoe last it had been really really windy, so much so that I was getting blown about when went out to feed them, and they still stayed out in run, and another night it was misty and when I went out in the morning they were soaked. Surely, that can't be good for them..........it must be better for them 2 b in hutch, just need 2 get used 2 it again. They were only in there 4 9 hours as I set alarm 4 6am 2 get up and let them out, and they'll be out now all day til bout 9pm tonight again, so not like shut away in a hutch all the time!

I think you did the right thing. He maybe cross with you but he'll get over it. Being out in the damp and cold all night could have made him ill and he might not get over that.

Back