• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Terrible Slug Problem

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

I know there have been loads of posts about slugs in hutches recently, but I've tried all the advice going and absolutely nothing is working.
Last night poor Alice had about 20 slugs in her food bowl and she couldn't get near her food.

We've tried salt rings, slug traps with beer / yeast in, copper tape etc and nothing is working.

I've read in some posts that hedgehogs eat them and I think this may be a solution...and I can give a lovely hedgehog a nice safe home.

Does anyone know where I can rescue a hedgehog from in the Preston/Blackpool area and even if this would work with our slug problem.

Alice was starving this morning when we gave her breakfast and there was slug slime all over the food that was left in her hutch. Also, do you think that Alices blended veggies will be attracting them more because Benny's hutch doesn't seem to attract them as much.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Gemma

Hi
I used to volunteer at a wildlife hospital and they homed hedgehogs to secure gardens, so you could try your local one, here's a list:
http://www.uksafari.com/hospitals.pdf#search='wildlife%20hospital%20lancashire'

Or try www.yell.com for others.

why not try relocating the slugs, everytime you see one, gather it into a container, take a walk or drive and pop them somewhere else OR try moving your hutch to a different area of the garden and replacing the old hutch place with something else for the slugs, like a compost heap or dropping scraps of food down every night.

Slug always return to the same spot every night, its been proven if a slug finds food it will return to the same spot each time so moving the hutch throws them totally of course and replacing the area with something else for them prevents them from looking elsewhere for food :wink:

Hi, I live near Preston and I've looked too - Freshfields Rescue in Liverpool rehome hedgehogs, not too far away!

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies. :)

Unfortunately we've tried moving the hutch around to different areas of the garden but they still seem to be attracted to Alice's hutch. I'm not a huge lover of slugs so couldn't bring myself to be in contact with them for too long in order to relocate them!

I've bought some cheap beer today for my slug traps. Hopefully some of them will go for that.

I'll ring the place in Liverpool and ask about adopting a hedgehog. Only thing is, we're moving soon (another secure garden) so not sure how a hedgehog would cope with a big move. I'll ask the rescue for some advice!

My OH seemed quite taken with the idea of adopting a little hedgehog. We've already thought of a name!!

Gemma

I've wondered about adopting a hedgehog too - for the same reasons, would be very interested to know how you get on with this.

jx

Don't forget hedgehogs carry fleas so it's important you keep your myxi vaccs up to date :)

Tam

Back