• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting an older rabbit spayed?

Camellia

Warren Scout
Question.......I would really like to have Kamea spayed; However she is (apparently) 8 years old.

Providing I have all the "tests" done before-hand, how risky would it be to have her spayed?

When I had her in for a check-up, my vet was incredibly impressed with how healthy she is not only for an 8 yr old rabbit, but for living in a corner of the backyard her whole life......Any input?

Thanks.

What's the reason you'd like her spayed? If it's because of the risk of uterine cancer another option might be to have an ultra-sound done of her uterius at regular (e.g. every 6 months) intervals. Then downside are you need a vet that can do that and if she does get it she'd need the op at which point she might be older. On the plus side no aneathetic :)

Tam

Tamsin said:
What's the reason you'd like her spayed? If it's because of the risk of uterine cancer another option might be to have an ultra-sound done of her uterius at regular (e.g. every 6 months) intervals. Then downside are you need a vet that can do that and if she does get it she'd need the op at which point she might be older. On the plus side no aneathetic :)

Tam

Thanks and yes that is the main reason :? On top of that I feel REALLY weird having an un-altered animal. Of course I wont just go out and get her spayed because it feels weird lol, I'm just 1) not certain how I would recognise uterine cancer if she did develop it and 2) worried that she will develop it a couple years down the road when she is no longer so healthy. For me it is *constant* worrying simply because she is unspayed. I will look into having those ultra-sounds done though, I've never heard of this; I will see what my vet thinks, thanks!

-----Still wondering though, what would the risks of having her spayed be, if I had all the pre-spay tests done (full blood panel etc.) and they all came out fine?

I'm npt sure Id get her spayed either- even 8 years old is a really good age. Perhaps see what your vet advises?

I would not get a rabbit spayed at this age either. The risk would in my opinion be too high.

I have an entire rabbit scanned regularly (approximately twice a year). She is 7 1/2 now and luckily all the scans have come back clear. Her next one is due next month.

Vera

Thanks alot for the input guys.

I'm still weighing the risks of spaying vs. waiting for the (high, from my understanding) chance that she develops uterine cancer when she is no longer quite so healthy, would be less likely to make it through that surgery. Hopefully she will be healthy for ever, but I've got to be realistic here.

I am going to see what my vet thinks also, but thanks alot for the input, I really appreciate it and will take it into account.

Loopy was spayed at 7 by a rabbit savvy vet and I would say she was just as healthy at 8. (she is 11 now) I think if she is in very good health its doable. If you unsure, consider a second vet opinion.

Adam

Back