• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shelters in runsH

Veronica

Mama Doe
Hiya guys..,

I need to pick your brains for ideas :D

I'm needing to invest in some shelters to put inside the runs (what with the rain and windy weather increasing as the weeks draw on, I want to provide my furries some warm and cozy place to retreat should they want to).

I've had a look on ebay, and on happyhutch website....but with the prices, times by the amount of these I'd need...the cost would be running into hundreds of pounds :shock:

Does anyone have any ideas for cheaper...but good alternatives?
(Building my own is well out of the question, due to time and lack of DIY skills :oops: :lol: )
Ideally something I could purchase, ulitise and use straight away.....?

Thanks in advance :D

Large cat beds.the ones that look like a carrier without a door.put a brick inside or against it to stop it blowing over :D

Ahhh a great idea Jill! Plus you can get them pretty cheap from Wilko's or Argos can't you! Brilliant!! :D 8) Thanks! :D

I have the hooded cat litter trays,two buns fit inside :)
1135.jpg

I would also have said the cat carrier, with the door off, and fill it with straw or hay. I also have a bigg-ish cardboard box (jst big enough for them to both snuggle down in2, they have to jump in but it's not too deep)
filled with straw and hay and they love it!!!! (I cover the top of the run with a large piece of wooden board just now for extra shelter, but plan 2 get a clear 1 of these

http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/MONO_COVER_HEAVY_DUTY_TARPAULINS.html

to cover sides and that as well

Cat litter trays are brill - Princess has one in her shed which I fill with straw and hay and you often find her snuggled up in there in the winter with just her little nose peeking out to see what is going on!!

honeybunny said:
Large cat beds.the ones that look like a carrier without a door.put a brick inside or against it to stop it blowing over :D

haha they aint beds, theyre cat loos! Ive got 1 for my cat.

I tried using pet carriers but all mine tip them over and then they wont go in them ,the hooded cat litter trays get moved but not tipped over

I use a large plastic storage box, the ones with a lid, with a big hole cut into the front. When filled with hay this is really cozy and only cost about a fiver. Totally waterproof too!

Kate

I would watch how the handels fit into the top. If there is holes for the handels to fit into the rain will just drip into the base. You can get a hooded cat litter tray from Savic that the lid fits on to the base, put a brick on top to stop it moving.

DSCF1037.jpg

This is mine.

Are there any preowned small 'rabbit' hutches going cheap or for free in your area? They would also be suitable to put as a shelter in a run.

Back