• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling nervous new bunnies

nommo

New Kit
Hello

Our little friends have been with us for a week nearly now, and they are looking well and enjoying free run in our enclosed front garden at the moment. When we first got them - they were very nervous and frightened of people. The rescue centre advised us to let them get get used to their new home before picking them up too much.

They are much more relaxed now - but still don't seem to like being picked up... I don't like having to chase them round the hutch and corner them.

I think I have the right technique for picking up - gently but firmly holding by the scruff with one hand - and then the other hand underneath to support them whilst picking up...

But - they tend to wriggle and want to escape from my evil clutches lol. I guess they were either with kids who were a bit rough, or were not picked up very often.

I need to check them for flystrike, and give them a once over, never mind give them a brush every now and then - and we all need cuddles after all!

Can anyone advise us how to get them to be more comfortable with being picked up? We don't mind persevering with a long term technique - but we need to know what the right thing to do!

Thanks in advance

I only pick my rabbits up if they need a nail trim or to go to the vets - it really stresses them out, and I can't even get near Victoria after a year! (thank goodness she's never needed her nails trimming :roll: ) Rabbits really don't need cuddles from us humans - Benny is easy to handle but he doesn't look like he's enjoying it - more like scared to move! I recently had to nurse Maa, whom I'm unable to even pick up now (she fights like mad since I cleaned her bum up a few months ago), and was told by several people to grab her and be firm and not too ladylike about it - but I found this impossible to do :oops: I let the vet cut her nails! Zinneia had a mild attack of stasis once and I was able to grab her and wrap her in a towel for syringing, but she wouldn't come near me for months afterwards.

It took about 3 months for all my rabbits to relax with me near them, so just be patient as it's early days yet - I would leave them be for a couple of weeks till they feel they are in a safe environment and not on the menu (well how do they know?) They will soon realise you are the one with food, and that should make them happier to be near you. Ideally you should do bum checks for flies etc. but if your rabbits are short haired, slim, healthy and active, they are unlikely to be attacked by flies if you keep the area they live in clean.

Oh thankyou for the advice elve :rabbit2: I am still trying to get my head around rabbit psychology etc! That was all very reassuring, and they do seem very happy so far...

They seem to be OK being stroked, and aren't too nervous when I open the hutch doors etc - but I am sure there are plenty of bad memories in their little heads to have negative associations with being picked up!

Every time i vist my buns i ALWAYS have food in my hand, they smell my hand, eat a few nibbles and then i can pick them up easly. But i takes time. They have to ascosiate you with food, at first i guess. In the mornin' i rantle their food tub and they ascosiate me with food get excited. After about a month they speamed a LOT better.

m
xx

Picking up

Hi,

We have had our first two bunnies just over a week now and have been briefly picking them up most days just when sitting on the floor in their pen and putting them down again as soon as they start to struggle. This isn't long but has increased to a few moments. Not really managed to check them much or bath their feet - they are stained as the bunnies were only recently rescued. Not sure how we will get on with first vets visit on Sat but considering it very gradual process and hope they get more used to us. They will sniff us and eat from our hands but jump away from us after a bit of stroking too. And they hide away for a while after we have held them :?

Good luck - would be interested to hear how you are getting on in a few weeks time!

foodtime.jpg

well - they do seem to be getting more confident every day - they approach the front of the run when they hear me approaching, and when free-ranging are getting more and more curious/brave/adventurous and even showing thier cheeky side, we have to be careful we don't trip over then while mucking out the hutch! They both come and sniff me.. must be the food trick taking effect :wink:

Well - time to go and deliver a veggie treat before bed...

Well, Elve pretty much said it :D Just take it slow and spend lots of time with them - they will soon get more relaxed with you. I would try and gradually build them up to a point where they are happy being picked up a couple of times a day if that's possible as it really helps if you can do that so you can check bottoms etc and just get a good look at them. Be prepared for it to take some time though. I have got one rabbit that I don't handle - I move her about in a carrier. She loves fuss and nose rubs but being picked up totally stresses her out so in her case I keep it to the absolute minimum. All the others have got quite used to it and are usually willing as they know they are going out onto the grass or getting something good :D

nommo said:
I think I have the right technique for picking up - gently but firmly holding by the scruff with one hand - and then the other hand underneath to support them whilst picking up...

If you are not sure on how to pick up rabbits this article contains good information about how to handle them http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp handling rabbits using the scruff or ears is not recommended as this can injure them. I hope this helps you.

oh - yes - that did sound a bit harsh.. but no I didn't pick them up by the scruff.. i don't even get a grip most of the time - its is just to stop them running off long enough to get a hand round the back legs, and then i slip my other hand round underneath the the front legs.. stealthily disguised as a stroke...

I have only picked them up a couple of time - and they didn't want to be picked up! I wanted to show them the bottom of the run when they first got here, and I think they forgave me soon enough once they discovered they had another level...

Now - I think I will be able to get both hands under soon and they won't be too troubled.. now they are starting to know my food-giving qualities :)

Thanks for the link though - I have read that again..

Within a short time they will have settled more and your confidence in picking them up will greatly improved. There is nothing worse than a quick bun who is unsure about being picked up. :)

Back