• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what questions do I ask the vet today re Storm's heart?

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
OK, Storm is going to the vets at 5.30 today for a check up and jab. ( he was suposed to be going this moring with Gypsy but wouldn't come out from under the bed, it was getting late so I just grabbed Gypsy and made another appointment for Storm :? )
Anyway, I am worried about his heart. What questions should I ask the vet? will he be able to tell straight away if something is wrong?

sparklefairy said:
OK, Storm is going to the vets at 5.30 today for a check up and jab. ( he was suposed to be going this moring with Gypsy but wouldn't come out from under the bed, it was getting late so I just grabbed Gypsy and made another appointment for Storm :? )
Anyway, I am worried about his heart. What questions should I ask the vet? will he be able to tell straight away if something is wrong?

What worries you about his heart?Is he a frenchie?

thank you for the replies :D and Hello Becky :D

yes Bilbo, Storm is a Frenchie and was the runt of the litter. I might just be a bit paranoid :? I'm not sure

Deffo paranoid hun! :wink:
I have a 5yr old frenchie who is fit as a fiddle with many years left yet i hope!
You could just ask your vet to listen to his heart and he will tell you if there is anything abnormal. I can understand your paranoia as with big rabbits their hearts can be too small.

bilbo said:
Deffo paranoid hun! :wink:
I have a 5yr old frenchie who is fit as a fiddle with many years left yet i hope!
You could just ask your vet to listen to his heart and he will tell you if there is anything abnormal. I can understand your paranoia as with big rabbits their hearts can be too small.

that is very true! I think this site makes me paranoid sometimes lolololol!!
I was worried because his tummy looks huuuuuuge ( I think I can remember posting a pic because you were worried about your bun?) and sometimes this can be fluid :? also he was lethargic a while ago ( maybe just the weather) and his breathing is louder rthan Gypsys ( maybe because he's bigger)

hmmm :?
Yes i remember the whole posting pic thing!Bilbo has a bit of a tummy..but thats probably because i spoil her.. :roll: :lol:
I would just ask your vet to listen to his chest and he will tell you if there is anything unusual. :)

Hi Rainbow

Your Vet should be able to detect a heart murmur but as Storm will be stressed by being at the Vets getting a reliable heart rate might be tricky.
The Vet might be able to feel an abnormal fluid build up in Storms abdomen and should also be able to detect abnormal lung sounds. Although again this may be difficult due to storm being stressed.

Good luck and please let us know how he gets on.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Hi Rainbow

Your Vet should be able to detect a heart murmur but as Storm will be stressed by being at the Vets getting a reliable heart rate might be tricky.
The Vet might be able to feel an abnormal fluid build up in Storms abdomen and should also be able to detect abnormal lung sounds. Although again this may be difficult due to storm being stressed.

Good luck and please let us know how he gets on.

Janex

Thank you Jane.
Last time we went the other vet was useless :roll: that's why I need a second opinion. I hope I'm just being worried over nothing. I am sooooooooo nervous :(

How did it go? I didn't realise you were worried about Storm :( Sorry if I have missed any threads - not that I could have helped anyway :roll:

I am sending some vibes now xxxxxx

you could ask your vet about the possability of an xray. this would show up any structual deffects in the heart.

thanks for the replies everyone. :D
well, the vet said that everything sounded normal. He listened to Storms heart and lungs and said they sounded fine :D .
Storm also had his nails trimmed and his jab. He turned into a real cuddle bun :D one of the only times I've been able to get a proper cuddle off him since he turned into a strop monster :shock: .
He also got weighed, he's a bit lighter than I thought, he's 5.50kg The vet kept calling him " mr big," :lol: :lol: :lol: and 2 old ladies saw me take storm into the vets and said " ooooooh look, he's a big one," and they both giggled all the way up the road :lol:

Back