• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel like the worst owner - *Update*

GemmaH

Mama Doe
Little Jasper my 8wk old lop is very poorly. He was fine first thing but all of a sudden he went all floppy and lying about. I've had a rabbit previously that had bloat and Jasper looked just the same, except poor Jasper even started rolling onto his back.

After phoning Kathryn (Kayjay) for advice (and a cry!) I phoned the vets and took him straight down, he had an injection for the pain and also one to get his gut moving. She also gave us two sachets of Science Recovery which I've mixed up but he hasn't touched.

Also the first day we got him Honey, our older Frenchie, managed to batter down what I thought was a secure divider and get to Jasper. I went to check them and he had a small scratch on his ear that was bleeding so he's been living in my kitchen ever since as a temporary measure until my shed gets put up. The day after when I was cuddling him I felt something hard in his fur, but there was too much fur to get a good view of what it was but it all looked clean enough. I thought I'd mention it while I was at the vets with him, anyway, she pulled it and it turned out it was a scab and it left a wound the size of a penny :shock: . Poor thing then also had to have it trimmed and two staples put in.

I feel like such a terrible owner, I'm sure I know what caused it, he enjoys a few veg every other day and I'd given both rabbits a corn on the cob to nibble, HOney just goes every so often to hers but I think he must have made a right pig of himself, it was so stupid of me :( .

Anyway, since I started typing this even he is looking considerably brighter and is sitting nibbling some hay which I know is a good sign. The vet did warn me though that it could go either way, at what point can I start to relax a bit? I've got to ring the vets in the morning to let her know how he's doing then he's back in 10 days (all being well) to have the staples removed. I'll take Honey for her vaccs then too, am a bit annoyed, the vet I saw last time said they give them from 4-5mths, vet today told me 11 weeks, other vet told me they'd give them together, raised it with the vet today and she said she'd never do it together, they're not licensed to be given together, they should be seperate. Guess which vet I'll be asking for in future :wink: .

Hope nobody jumps on me for this post, I'm truly devastated.

Gemma x

awwww (((hugs))) I'm sure no one will jump on you. We all make mistakes, and even with the best of intentions in mind we sometimes get things wrong.
I hope Jasper will be back to his normal self soon xxx

awww - don't worry - it's not your fault, sounds like you've got the best interests of both buns at heart (someone needs to tell the buns! ;) )

Even the best made plans can go wrong - you're doing the right thing getting immediate vet treatment.

Even though Egg and Tuesday are happily bonded, in the initial few days there was a lot of chasing and biting - and i just had to watch! :eek: no blood though - and the scabs were only little, but there's always the opportunity for it to go incredibly wrong!

It sounds like the stress of being got at by your big bun put your little one off his food. Their digestive systems are so delicate, especially at that age. It makes me angry that anyone can let them go when they are so vulnerable :x
You have taken him to the vet and done your best, don't get down on yourself, just learn from it, we all make mistakes :?

I saw Jasper a couple of days ago and I didn't notice the wound, it felt a bit like a skin tag but I never thought it was a wound as he didn't seem in any discomfort at all. You are a good bunny mummy Gemma, just learning like I am, and I'm so pleased he's getting better :D

aww its not your fault. I hope he gets well soon. He is a little young for any type of veg at 8 weeks old. I would wait until he is at least 12 weeks before trying him with anymore. Stick to green leafy veg, parsley is good to start on. Corn isn't good for rabbits as its hard to digest. Don't blame yourself though, we all learn by our mistakes. I used to give mine toast before i knew any better! :oops:

Hi

Just thought I'd offer an update. Jasper improved steadily through Friday and by Friday night seemed like his old self again and was eating & pooing normally. Yesterday morning I rang the vets at 9am to let her know how he was as she'd asked me too, again he was still fine. I came back downstairs from doing that and he'd started lying about stretched out again so we ended up back at the vets for another injection for his tummy and she also gave him some 'Fibreplex' which is apparently new in and they will be using that instead of the Science Recovery in future.

He was quiet for most of yesterday but perked up a bit later on and *touch wood* he seems ok now. I am so relieved, no more veg for him for a few weeks and then he'll be on rations!

Gemma x

Back