• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ted is becoming a fatso

toffee

Mama Doe
My lionhead Theodore used to have a problem with weight gain before I got him so was put on grass and veggies diet. when he came to me I introduced pellets and there was no problem with his weight until now. Yesterday when I picked him up he felt really fat.

Should I just stop feeding pellets or reduce them? Should I see a vet to get an eating plan or is that not necessary?

minilops said:
I'd suggest either reducing pellets or switching to Excel Lite.

Hiya this is good advice, as it is not a good idea to alter a bunnies diet suddenly :wink:
When we have had to put bunnies on a diet, we half their usual daily amount of dried food and then divide what is left into two meals for morning and night.
I would suggest taking Theodore to the vets for a weigh -in, and then you will know exactly how much weight he needs to loose :wink:
Bunnies do tend to start gaining a little more weight at this time of the year, so you need to be careful he does not loose any more than needed, especially coming up to the Winter.
Your Vet will advise you :D
Best wishes

Adele said:
minilops said:
I'd suggest either reducing pellets or switching to Excel Lite.

Hiya this is good advice, as it is not a good idea to alter a bunnies diet suddenly :wink:
When we have had to put bunnies on a diet, we half their usual daily amount of dried food and then divide what is left into two meals for morning and night.
I would suggest taking Theodore to the vets for a weigh -in, and then you will know exactly how much weight he needs to loose :wink:
Bunnies do tend to start gaining a little more weight at this time of the year, so you need to be careful he does not loose any more than needed, especially coming up to the Winter.
Your Vet will advise you :D
Best wishes

He's already on excel lite and only gets a handful between him and his girlfriend morning and night.

We're going to the vets on monday for a problem with his ear (he's shaking his head) so will get him weighed then.

I'm not worried really about him losing too much because he's a house bun so he won't get cold.

I have been giving him papaya chunks because he's moulting excessively - maybe this is to blame for the weight gain? :?

Back