• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eek help-sore hocks

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
Heya,

Iv just put my rabbits out and iv noticed a bit of dried blood on one of my rabbits foot (heel) and I think it may be a sore hock, only thing is I am due to go on holiday tomorrow leaving my rabbits with my mom, do I need to take him to the vets today or is there anything I can use to treat it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks x

If the skin is actually broken then there is a risk of infection getting in. I would get your Vet to check your Bun over today so as you dont leave your Mum with a potential problem to have to sort out whilst you are away.
Vet may prescribe a course of antibiotics and some pain relief as sore hocks are.....well.....SORE!!
Your Bun will need extra deep clean bedding to try to prevent the condition worsening. I would not recommend putting the paint-on false skin (Germolene Newskin) on without a Vets say so as it might seel bacteria in.

Janex

Agree with Jane, having asked several questions about sore hocks recently, i think its important to get it sorted asap.

My vet also gave me a cream called Fuciderm, with is soothing and antiseptic (not sure it would be ok on broken skin tho, but im sure your vet will advise you.)

Id upend him ie sit down and put him on his back on your knees - be carful and give his hocks a good clean. If they are bleeding youd be wise to check and as the others say ensure no infection.

My vet also prescribed fuciderm cream.

Ive found the best and only method with my rex is plasters on her feet.
The elastoplast fabric strips are best cut to foot length and just beyond her heels. I use sudafed on her feet first but her feet do not have broken skin just lack fur, then keep the plaster on by gently and firmly but not tightly wrapping that fabric strip sticky tape wrapping around the plaster. The sort that comes on a roll. this lasts for a couple of months before they come off and we repeat the process. In the meantime the fur grows underneath.

I have tried all other methods eg looking at surfaces keep nails short but found only this works!

Back