• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasturella and adopting a new bun

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I have seen a lovely bun which I may evetually like to adopt as a friend for Audrey if he is still available- problem is he has slight pastruella (Sp?), which doesnt cause him a problem apparently. However Audrey does not have it- is it a bad idea to adopt him??

Well, as i've found out, Egg has probably been harbouring nasty bacteria (that doesn't affect her), and has probably given it to Tuesday.

I'd be interested to know if there is anyway to introduce buns to a small amount of the pasturella bacteria so that buns can build up their immune system - I mean it's obvious Egg has been exposed to it, but she never has any symptoms. Or is it a genetic thing?

(Can you tell I don't know the answer!).

If you do, then get some septrin on standby for the first sign of a sniffle

I've got a Rabbit with mild Pasturella and it only flairs up in hot/stuffy weather or in dusty environments. He's lived with two girls for the last two years and neither of them have shown any symptoms. :wink:

Louise

I would not take the risk you may be playing russian rulet there. Buns take pasturela differently some carry but dont have symptoms, some get it mildly otheres badly some DIE from it.There are hundreds of heathy buns id pick one of them and not risk your present bun. val

taylor v 109 said:
I would not take the risk you may be playing russian rulet there. Buns take pasturela differently some carry but dont have symptoms, some get it mildly otheres badly some DIE from it.There are hundreds of heathy buns id pick one of them and not risk your present bun. val

I agree. Of course an apparently 'well' rabbit may be harbouring Pasteurella but taking one on with active infection is not fare on Audrey IMO.

Janex

Hi there,

I adopted Benny about 18 months ago and he had a slight runny eye. The rescue said that he'd been checked and it was just a "bit of an infection", not pasturella.

Alice had never displayed any symptoms of snuffles at all until we brought Benny home. A few days after he'd been grooming her, I noticed she was displaying a runny nose and white discharge from her eye.

The only eye problems Alice had previously were caused by her teeth pressing on her tear ducts and also an abscess in her eye socket.

Since then, both buns have been on and off antibiotics and eye drops to keep the symptoms at bay. I do believe that Alice caught it from Benny, but I wouldn't swap him for the world!!

Back