• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay or straw??????

Whats the best bedding to use in nesting area of outdoor hutch?

• Hay?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straw?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lucyj

Mama Doe
Which do you find is the best bedding for an outdoor hutch?

I normally put a thick layer of wood shavings in hutch, then straw in bedding area as well. H & H have 24 hr access 2 run, but the last few nights it's been pretty windy and a bit rainy, but they've still stayed out (I have a large piece of board on the roof of the run2 give some extra shelter). In their run they hav a litter tray with hay in, and a cardboard box with straw in, and they seem to prefer sleeping in there :roll: . Tonight I tried putting hay in2 bedding area to see if they'll go in with that, it looks cosier and more comfy 2 me! They do use the hutch for sleeping in during the day, just at night they seem 2 prefer being out. I don't like shutting them in, but worry about them in this weather.

So was jst wonderin what every1 else used and found to be best......?

I put newspaper down, then the woodshavings, then a thick layer of straw with hay on top. Buns then turn it upside down to their liking but that's usually my idea when I start :D

I only use hay, straw has no nutritional value and I am concerned about both rabits and piggies poking themselves in the eye and injuring themselves. Most hays are soft and the chance of them injuring themselves in a lot lower.

I lay newspaper for insulation, then heaps of hay in the bedding area, paper, straw and hay for eating in the day area. :D

I use hay rather than straw because we've got a building full of hay outside, no point buying one in when I get the other for free!

Gemma x

Back