• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clumping Cat Litter

bilbo

Alpha Buck
Today in PAH i was told that i could use clumping cat litter for my rabbits..no prove me worng but i though that clumping cat litter wasnt good for bunnies!!!!!!

Definately not!!!!!! If they ingest it and it clumps inside them then it could kill a bunny!

Tam

Typical of PAH! Definitely not. I've started using Carefresh and although it's expensive I've found it excellent for Poppy following her spay.

i thought i was right!
Is their wood base cat litter ok for bunnies?i t hink it is but want to make sure.I bought a bag of their wood pellets for small animals but it is too expensive however their wood base cat litter is practically the same and is £7.99 for a HUGE bag.

Is the wood-based litter like Feline Pine? If so, it's probably exactly like the small animal version. But you might be able to find cheaper stuff that's just as good at a feed store or horse supply store. I don't know how available it is in the UK, but some places sell wood pellet bedding for horse stalls and it's usually only $5 for a huge bag, where pet stores sell a tiny bag for $10+. I love this stuff!

Bilbo- could you print off some info on clumping cat litter and rabbits and bring it in to the PAH?

Spacegirl said:
I thought pine based litter was bad for rabbits :?

eeeek i dunno...it would be good if taht cat one was ok as i thought was pretty cheap as i have 6 litter trays to fill!!!!

bilbo said:
i thought i was right!
Is their wood base cat litter ok for bunnies?i t hink it is but want to make sure.I bought a bag of their wood pellets for small animals but it is too expensive however their wood base cat litter is practically the same and is £7.99 for a HUGE bag.

I have used that for 3 years and its fine :D

I also use the wood based cat litter and have never had any problems. I used to use the paper based one from Morrisons but they stopped stocking it.

Sometimes I fill their trays with sawdust and shredded paper but I find that they get damp feet after they've used it.

pine shavings are bad for all smal animals because of the phenols contained in this type of wood. (this is what you can smell when you open a bag of shavings) wood based cat litter though often made of pine contains far less of the active phenols due to the way its processed.

clumping cat litter (ie..the clay based ones) should be avoided because of the potentil danger of intestinal obstruction should the rabbit eat the litter.

ive used wood based cat litter in my litter trays for several years. it dosn't stick to my rabbits feet in the way shavings do and hence, dosn't get walked arcoss the carpets. :wink:
its also more absorbant than shavings.

Back