• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

** Lionhead bunnies **

Cavyslave

Alpha Buck
I think they are such gorgeous looking bunnies :love:

When I was first looking for some bunnies to adopt I was advised to keep clear of this particular breed as they were prone to more dental/genetic problems.

Is this the case with this breed ?? are they prone to more problems ??

I know you can get it with guinea pig and certain breeds so stands to reason it may with bunnies too.

Would welcome more experienced bunny owners views on this.

Thanks.

Deb x

I've got 4 lionheads and none of them have tooth probs (touch wood)

I think it has more to do with them being 'little' bunnies and bad breeding.

i was told by our vet that dwarfs can have more tooth problems (something to do with their heads being shorter or something) at the time she was commenting on teegra's lovely long face :shock:

maybe that might be something ot do with it??

abi and teegra

I have got 2 lionheads, although the youngest is only 6 months old. My older one is however nearly six and has never had even a hint of a health problem ever in her life.

Vera

I think most pure bred animals are prone to more health problems, but it does not mean that every one of them has to get them.

Hi

I've had two long-head lionheads, unfortunately lost one just a few weeks ago through GI Stasis, but thats not a breed specific thing. Her sister does have teeth problems with spurs growing on her molars, but since putting her onto a strict diet with loads of hay, they've not needed doing for 6 months and counting, so fingers crossed.

I'd say they're no more prone to dental problems than any other small breed (which you're right is because the skull is smaller).

And of course they are gorgeous bunnies!

The problem is due to the shorter/rounder faces that dwarf breeds and lops have. Lionheads aren't more prone to dental problems than the other round faced breeds. I know roughly 14 dwarfs and lops and only two of them hae dental problems (and they are brothers). All rabbits are at risk for developing health problems down the line so don't let that affect your decision!!

My furry lil lionhead is fine apart from his snoring :lol: Vet said it was due to his face being squashed in! Never bothered Rudy though and I love his little snoring noises :love: Would I have another lionhead - too right i would :D :D

I don't think they're particularly more prone. If it's an issue for you then find a good rescue to adopt from and go for bunnies a year old plus. If they have teeth issues they should be apparent by then and a good rescue will check the teeth as part of the health check - usually during neutering so they get a good look at the back ones :)

Tam

i thought that lionheads, netherland and lops were more prone to teeth problems because thair faces have been bred particularly blunt. :?

Well I have well and truly jinxed myself haven't I, My lionhead is going to the vets in the morning as he as decided to start dripping from the mouth.
I was hoping to have a vet free week :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for starting this thread :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh dear Kay :roll:

I think that lionheads were originally a cross between a netherland dwarf and...ummm..something fluffier, so maybe that's where the thought originates - as nethies suffer more from dental/respiratory problems because of their flat faces.

Lion heads origanated from america, they have changed a lot since then. When a breed of rabbit is changed in appearence teeth problems can accure but this is breed out of most rabbits because its not right to breed an animal that has a defect. The trouble is irresposable breeders having bought a alionhead from somewere just to breed from for pet shop babys. These kinds of people dont care if there stock is heathy or not and will keep breeding them. This results in large numbers of rabbits on the market as pets. This in the end leads people to believe that they have a predispotion to bad teeth, in fact it just comes down to breeding from bad stock. Todays lionheads are so much different now ,there temprement is vastly improved and properly breed ones dont have teeth problems. Ive been breeding dwarf lops and mini lops now for ten years and only ever had one that had bad teeth, needless to say this wasent used for breeding again. val

well i don't know on the whole but i have a lionhead and he had incisor probs and eventually had to have them removed, but his molars have been perfectly fine...

but i mean its just "luck of the draw" so to speak!!!! any bun can have tooth probs, just cos mine did it doesn't mean it was because of his breed so i don't know really.......

good luck, lionheads are lovely :D they are so bold and have such character.

lionheads

I have a girl lionhead who is about 3 years I have only had her a few months, but to my knowledge she has never had any problems and since I have had her she has been fine (touch wood !)

I think some rabbits just have teeth problems and some don't, I dont think the breed has anything to do with it.

Krista :rabbit2:

Thanks for all the imput everyone.. I really do appreciate it a lot.

I would really love to have a bonded pair of lionheads and after my hols am going to give it some serious thought. I have seen lots of lovely one in RR :D

Hubby may be busy building again. LOL

Deb x

Back