• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patches on toes?

Jem

Young Bun
My rabbit Rosie has recently got a few bald patches on the toes of one of her back feet. There only about half a centimeter in diameter so quite small but there looking quite pink though they dont appear to be sore. There just a bit further down from her nails which seem short enough though I'm not an expert on this. I've tried gentelly squeezing them but she doesn't seem to mind other than to complain at being held. None of her other paws have any bald patches and the fur is quite thick asside from these 3 patches but I'm worried they'll get sore and scab etc.

It seems a bit early to get her to the vets given that she couldn't care less that they were there but I'm wondering if anyone knows what the likley causes might be. She's not licking it any more than the other and I don't think her brother is either, he generally likes licking her ears.

They're in a 2 storey hutch with hay on the floor downstairs and in the bed area. They do ahve access to a run all day which is out onto decking, this is the only newish addition since i noticed the patches. I'm about to pop down a ply floor for the run (to stop hay and poos getting in the gaps between the decking) and put a roof on as it was getting a bit damp but I'm not sure if this is causing the problem or not.

Any ideas, my husband says I'm over reacting but I do have a tendancy to do that over my pets.

Is the bald patches on the upper side or the inderneath of the foot. If on the top wait and keep an eye on them. If its underneath and touches the floor then it may be the start of sore hocks. val

It's on the underside of her feet but it's just on the tips of her toes near her nails, its now got thin on the other hind foot too. I'm not sure about sore hocks as i got the impression that was further along the leg near the ankle or heel. This is just on her toe tips. So far I'm keeping an eye on it and if it starts looking sore or she starts not liking pressure applied to it I'm going to take her to the vets.

I read in my rabbit book that rexes oftern have sparse fur on their feet, could this be related to the fact she's a rex. Her brother is too but his toes remain fully furred at the moment.

Am I doing the right thing

Thanks

Jem

Back