• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House buns and RSPCA guidelines...

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
The new RSPCA guidelines are
6 x 2 x 2 hutch, with an attached run of 6 x 3....just wondered how many people actually have amount of space this for their house buns?

I think theres often the assumption that house buns get more time out, but i dont think this is always the case as many people keep them locked in a cage when they're at work.

Does the time out they get out in the evenings make up for being in the cage all day? (And where do the RSPCA stand on this?- ie) adopting out a house rabbit?)

What do you think?!

PS. Link to the guidelines:
http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Sat...bbitsPetCare&marker=1&articleId=1154077763133

Ummm, I didn't consider those in regards to house rabbits. I would presume if the rabbit had free range of the room or house that would be the equivilent of the run - I don't think you'd need to built them a run within the room.

I'm not sure about the hutch/cage.

Tam

My buns spend the day asleep anyway so maybe being in a cage all day is ok as long as they get out for exercise at the times of day they're more active?

Tamsin said:
Ummm, I didn't consider those in regards to house rabbits. I would presume if the rabbit had free range of the room or house that would be the equivilent of the run - I don't think you'd need to built them a run within the room.

I'm not sure about the hutch/cage.

Tam

oh no I know you wouldnt build them a run for in a room :? just talking about the equivalnet amount of space- those who keep house buns locked in a cage whilst they're out are surely not within their guidelines :?

Sometimes I wonder if my brain is still in their :lol: I missed the attached attached to bit. I see what you mean. That's quite a large area that they should have 24/7. Although I know outdoors quick a few people shut buns in their hutch at night for safety.

I don't know how flexible they are. Personally I wouldn't have an issue with a bun being shut in temporarily.

Most of the people i know of shut there rabbits up all day while there at wor,k so i carnt see theres much advantage in being inside at all. I carnt see anybody having rabbit acomadation [ cage area] that big in a house can you. ? I could understand it for an outdoor bun but its not going to happen for indoor rabbits.val

Oscar is a house bunny he has access to everywhere all day long but chooses to stay downstairs all the time, I think he once got as far as going up two stairs then quickly changed his mind :lol:

The only time he is "locked away" is when we go to bed, then we shut the living room door because of the burglar alarm, even then he still has the kitchen, dining room and the utility room which is where his toilet etc is but he doesn't seem to bother much with it.... he is a back to front bunny and doesn't do much at night time :lol:

alfie is a house bun and her cage is storage cubes.

She is only locked in at night and when me& boyfriend are both out (not very often at the mo).

If we're going to be out any length of time we add more cubes to her house and the total area wouldn't be far off those guidelines - takes over the whole room but as we're out it doesn't matter. :) When we get home, we just dismantle the extra cubes.

Seems to work quite well but then we work from home. Would think it'd be a bit annoying to put up/take down every day but possibly still feasible.

I have also wondered about this!

One of my rabbits is free range in the kitchen/diner and the other in the conservatory and garden. I know of a lot of people that say they have house rabbits but merely mean that they keep them in a cage in the house, never letting them have a run out at all.

To me, a house rabbit should have exactly the same minimum requirements regarding space as an outdoor rabbit.

Very interesting topic!

Kate

Alfie_and_angel said:
alfie is a house bun and her cage is storage cubes.

She is only locked in at night and when me& boyfriend are both out (not very often at the mo).

If we're going to be out any length of time we add more cubes to her house and the total area wouldn't be far off those guidelines - takes over the whole room but as we're out it doesn't matter. :) When we get home, we just dismantle the extra cubes.

Seems to work quite well but then we work from home. Would think it'd be a bit annoying to put up/take down every day but possibly still feasible.

Do you have any pictures of her cube cage? I have loads of cubes left now my two buns have moved to the shed and am looking for ideas! Thanks

I had Marley and Maisie from the RSPCA (I also had Pippin but she's outside), when I had a house check for them, the lady just checked where they would live, where they would sleep, litter tray, toys and stuff. They were free range buns though (although Maisie had a pen in the kitchen untill I bonded her in)

I own 4 houserabbits and all of them have seperate areas that would satisfy RSPCA guidelines - but then my house looks like one giant rabbit warren!

I personally think it's cruel to keep a rabbit locked up in a cage all day even if they do get free time in an evening. I speak from experience as I kept Gus in a cage when I had a rented flat and it made him quite miserable. I took the decision to let him go free range and never regretted it although I had to do a lot of repairs before I moved out.

If you can rabbit-proof your house as much as possible I think that (circumstances permitting of course) you should try to give your bunny as much freedom as possible and that you should try to stick to at least 6x3 because it is no different to keeping a rabbit outdoors.

Mine started off in a cage with attached run, now they have free range of their bedroom and the hallway all day, even while we are at work and just the bedroom at night, they seem much happier!

I never though I'd meet someone else with a bunny called Gus, pictures?...it's a great name for a bunny :lol: :lol:

After adopting Tuesday over a month ago, Him and Egg have been in a dog crate in the lounge. We are gradually building up confidence to let them free range in the day (wish me luck - today is the first day that they have been left out while i'm at work).

They haven't been shut up much because i've been working from home except for Thursdays. They do get put away overnight too.

Tbh I know they enjoy it, but if you leave them out they still get bored if the surroundings never change. Whether in an outdoor/indoor cage or free range, i think that's the key. Keep changing the toys and environment a little to give them something to explore. Storage cube mazes are great for that ;)

Zeus and Athena had our hall during the day - which was 10ft by 4ft approx. Cosmos and Violet had the spare room, which was 10ftx10ft (maybe a bit bigger), they were shut into a pen that covered 1/3 of the room but they soon escaped so I let them have the whole room (if OH didn't check :wink: ). When they went into their sheds in the garage they got less room, 5ftx5ft sheds plus 2ftx5ft runs, then when they went fully outside they actually got less room again in their main home while I am at work (as sheds didn't survive the move) but have access to a larger run when I am home (not safe to leave in during the day unattended as it isn't predator-proof).

Now I only have two they have the space of both previous pairs (hutch was split, now opened up into one), which I am more happy with.

Caz

I have George as a house rabbit, but he doesn't have a cage at all. The house is bunny proofed as much as possible. When we are out/overnight we do leave him in either the conservatory when it's not too hot or in the kitchen when it's hot. The rest of the time wen we are there he has free run of the downstairs. He seems to have a mad half hour or so and then just settles down for a cuddle then has another mad few moments running full speed round the lounge and binkying all over the place :lol:

well i had my first house bun in a stupid cage..critter zone i think it was called..clear plastic sides and large plastic tray at the bottom..the lid had a grilled lift up..
in the end she had the lid off 24/7 unless shed had a dental ..shed race around the house with the 3 cats..i loved it..but when we got our second bun..he was a nightmare..ate everything in sight..had to be caged overnite or if i had to leave the house shopping or doctors appointment etc..it was also for his safety as our lady cat used to eye him up loads!

oscar..well he did spend time in his cage till he was done and toilet trained..and overnite in cold weahter as he used to sleep everywhere but the warm beds id made him around the lounge and hed get too cold..so he was grateful for his cage warmth..btw when he got tired hed put himself to bed! But he spent most of the day and night free roaming the lounge and hallway and sometimes the stairs..but he could never get back down!

Bif is different..shes a rescue bun and was allowed to roam with oscar..but now shes lost him and has been so ill she was out half the normal time and now less as shes bulding up her strength and bonding with bertie..who is too big to ever be caged but has the 8 panel execise pen as his cage ! when theyre bonded theyll have free raom but the dog crate stays as they like security..with an open door.

the dog crate we had for oscar..a mini lop..and bif..a lionhead mini lop cross..is a crate for a rottweiler!!
now bertie fills up that so its just a food and water and litter pan area..or willbe!

woodstock said:
Tbh I know they enjoy it, but if you leave them out they still get bored if the surroundings never change. Whether in an outdoor/indoor cage or free range, i think that's the key. Keep changing the toys and environment a little to give them something to explore. Storage cube mazes are great for that ;)

I agree! My two live in the hall and bathroom and are let into the bedroom and library in the evening. They love exploring the 'new' place, if they are allowed in the bedroom all day they lose interest.

Obviously though they need enough space though. Interestingly I find my [desexed] buck starts humping when they are confined in a small area for too long.

Back