• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pepper is not well :( - UPDATE blood result

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
She has been sleeping most of the day and has hardly moved at all. She has eaten a bit of hay and a few pellets and she had some greens this morning but there is definitely something not right. When she was out on the grass she just lay down and wasn't munching away like usual. She has recently lost some weight but when the vet saw her last week he couldn't find anything wrong like teeth or masses or anything. I tried to get her an appointment this evening but there weren't any so have got one for 10.50 tommorrow. I have bought her and Humpty inside for tonight so she son't get cold and I can keep an eye on her. I've given her a good look over and can't find anything obviously wrong :( Just feel so worried and don't know what else to do/look for.

Oh no poor Pepper :cry: Has she eaten anything at all, or pooped? If not, it is probably best to get her to a vet tonight :cry: Have you got any infacol you can give her in case it's a gassy tum, that might help her feel a bit more comfortable :cry: Hope she's ok :? Big hugs xxx

Thanks Alison. She has been eating a bit throughout the day and I have also seen her drinking. Don't know about poop but now that she is inside I will be able to keep a better eye on that. Can you hear if their stomach is gassy?

Hi there... Sorry to hear about your rabbit.
Sounds lie your bun has something that my buns did :( It started with them not eating, then not running around much. It is good that you are getting her to the vets as they will probably give her injections. Unfortauntely both my buns died (I dont want to alarm you though!) and I did all I could for them. Their teeth got checked, that was all fine.... I felt so helpess as nothing I could do but watch them get weaker and iller :cry: Is she poo-ing at all?? That is one of the signs too when they have digestive problems. Sending you lotsa good get well soon bunny vibes !!!!!!!
Claire X

Spacegirl said:
Can you hear if their stomach is gassy?

Not really sure :? Infacol is inert anyway so it won't harm her to give some even if that isn't the problem. Some gentle tummy rubs may also help. How old is she, and is she spayed? Depending on how she goes, it might be worth getting some blood tests done to test her organ functions, as I think there are things like liver or kidney problems which can cause weight loss :? Hope she's ok xxx

AlisonA said:
Spacegirl said:
Can you hear if their stomach is gassy?

Not really sure :? Infacol is inert anyway so it won't harm her to give some even if that isn't the problem. Some gentle tummy rubs may also help. How old is she, and is she spayed? Depending on how she goes, it might be worth getting some blood tests done to test her organ functions, as I think there are things like liver or kidney problems which can cause weight loss :? Hope she's ok xxx

She's about 2 and was spayed about six months ago. Don't think I've got any infacol - would be out of date by now anyway :roll: Will ask vet about blood tests.
Right - going to go watch for poo now . .

It's more than possible, that usually is a sign of pain. Is she sitting with an unusual posture - hunched up or pushing her belly into the floor, or totally the opposite, trying to take the weight off her belly by lying awkwardly on her side?

When she was sitting up (she is lying on her belly most of the time) she did look perhaps a little hunched up - just not right somehow.

Phew! That's a relief, at least it shows that her guts are still moving a bit! Fingers crossed she feels a lot better by the morning - but if not you have a vets appointment booked anyway. Hope she has a comfortable night xxx

Thanks Jane! Think I will still take hre to her appointment this morning tough as she is still quieter than usual and I'll only worry if I don't.

Well, the vet couldn't find anything except a bit of a stodgy tummy. He gave her some painkiller and something to get her guts moving (metaclopromide?) and took some bloods. Get results this afternoon. On the plus side she had put on 100g in the last week.

Results came back. Urea levels were a bit high (10ish rather than 8) showing slightly reduced kidney function and she had a slightly high red blood count which he said might show that ther kidneys haven't been quite right for a while? Sugar wa a touch high too but he said that was probably just stress of going to the vets. He said there was no specific treatment we could give re the kidneys but she may just feel better in a few days.. If she doesn't improve over the next day or so I should take her back maybe for more metaclopromide ?
If anyone can shed any light on what this coulld mean for the short or long term I would appreciate it. Not had to deal with blood tests before so its all a bit new to me.

Back